• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot edit within multiple text boxes at once

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that, in theory, I should be able to select all of the text boxes at once and go into properties and edit them there, but that capability disappears for me as soon as multiple text boxes are selected. These text boxes are within groups, but even within the same group I find the same issue. 

The first picture shows the properties when I have a single text box selected, and the second photo shows when I have more than one. I can do this in Illustrator, but not in Indesign, and I don't know why they're acting so differently!

Thank you in advance for your help!

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

In order to do what I think you're trying to do the text frames need to be threaded together so that the text in one actually flows into the others. Then when the text tool is active in one the properties panel will show all of its text editing features which will effect the text in all of the frames. To learn more about threading text see: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/threading-text.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Hi Daria,

to select all elements of a group, not the group itself, select one element and then do the shortcut for Select All.

If your group consists of text frames only the Properties panel should show the options for text frames, characters and paragraphs.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to do what I think you're trying to do the text frames need to be threaded together so that the text in one actually flows into the others. Then when the text tool is active in one the properties panel will show all of its text editing features which will effect the text in all of the frames. To learn more about threading text see: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/threading-text.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daria,

with several text frames selected inside a group this should work.

Also with some text frames selected that are not grouped.

Important Note:

The prerequisite for this is that the text frames are not threaded to a story.

Screenshot from my German InDesign 2020 where two text frames in a group are selected:

TwoTextFramesSelected-of-Group-PropertiesPanel.PNG

I assume that your case is a bit different.

Please post a screenshot with your Layers panel open where we can exactly see what's selected inside the group.

Hint: Do not select the group, but the text frames inside the group.

If the group is selected the Properties panel will show the properties of the group element and not the properties of the elements inside the group.

Regards,

Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thank you for your reply. I hope this is what you're looking for:

When I select two text boxes within a group, this is what my layers and properties look like. However, when I select ALL of the text boxes within a group, it selects the entire group and my ability to change the text all together is eliminated. The same issue comes when I try to select multiple text boxes within different groups.

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 11.37.40 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-11 at 11.38.18 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daria,

to select all elements of a group, not the group itself, select one element and then do the shortcut for Select All.

If your group consists of text frames only the Properties panel should show the options for text frames, characters and paragraphs.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool! That's exciting to see. Thanks, Uwe! 

Is there any way, though, to select all the text boxes of the whole document / in a certain part of a document? I often find myself with extra room in this document (my resume) and I want to extend the line spacing for all (excepting the header) so it fills the white space.

Once again, in Illustrator, I can marquee select a part of the document that only contains text boxes and then can edit all text properties all together. Is that possible in Indesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daria,

you can only select text frames on a single spread. Not throughout a document.

And you can only select the ones that are nested together in one level at the same time.

E.g. outside of a group vs inside of a group.

You cannot select things inside plus outside of a group at the same time.

But: You can find text frames with InDesign's Find/Change panel.

Use the Object tab, find frames with the object style [ Basic Text Frame ] and change them to the object style you like. Here I assume that you did not apply a custom object style to your text frames in your document before.

Note: There is no way to restrict the Find/Change to a distinct page range.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nixzali350333032gyt_0-1706198009802.png

I was able to find another solution to this. May be a new update to InDesign but I found it helpful and saved me a lot of time. There is the small "T" on the toolbar that allows you to toggle text editing, and it makes editing multiple text-boxes at once. (see Snapshot) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines