Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Compound path problem

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear user,

I need your help, may sound silly, but I hope someone can help.  I have created a pattern and then pasted this into a square shape using the paste into command.  I can't seem to release or split the image from the shape now.  I thought it was simple to rerlease compound path, however this option is not available - please can someone help?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

I believe I can, though you may not like the answer.

Did you create the pattern in another program, like, say, Adobe Illustrator? If you did create the pattern element within InDesign and then copy/paste or use step-and-repeat to make the pattern, then group it? Did you place the pattern inside a frame (the shapes with a thin "x" in them) or in a dedicated shape (e.g. rectangle/ellipse/polygon tool-created element)?

In the first case, you'd have to go back to the source application to make y

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not a compound path, it's simply one object (or group) in a frame. Just double click to select the contents and then cut it from the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe I can, though you may not like the answer.

Did you create the pattern in another program, like, say, Adobe Illustrator? If you did create the pattern element within InDesign and then copy/paste or use step-and-repeat to make the pattern, then group it? Did you place the pattern inside a frame (the shapes with a thin "x" in them) or in a dedicated shape (e.g. rectangle/ellipse/polygon tool-created element)?

In the first case, you'd have to go back to the source application to make your changes. You can place documents into InDesign from other apps, but your options for editing them are between very limited and non-existent. In the second, you're going to have to first ungroup the graphics, then individually first select the two parts of the compound path with your White Arrow/Direct Selection tool, then change to the Black Arrow/Selection tool to have the entire paths selected, then release the path. But even that may not work in the third case, because when you Paste Into a shape, you're essentially turning the elements/pattern into a fill. You can change the fill, but you won't be able to edit the content inside the existing fill.

So if you want to "release" the compound path for your patttern elements, the surest course of action is to delete what you've got, then re-create the individual element, release the compound path there in either your source application or InDesign, as appropriate for where you're creating the element, then duplicate it to create your pattern, and then use your Edit>Cut/Copy and your Edit>Paste Into to recreate your desired result.

Sorry I haven't got better news for you,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines