I work with books with hundreds of endnotes, and it seems that whatever work I do with the notes – particularly anything that involves touching the numbering – InDesign becomes logy and crashy and ultimately refuses to function.
I generally work with static endnotes, and my clients require that they restart at 1 in each chapter. Dymanic notes have proven entirely unworkable.
My books have to be constructed with continuous text flows, not individual stories for each chapter, so the multiple-story workaround is not a solution. I’ve worked out a system for auto-numbering that restarts each chapter in the notes, but this still requires editing the numbers assigned during import. In other words, I end up renumbering by hand in the main text and deleting old numbers in the notes themselves. (Yippee!) This is where things fall apart. The longer I work, the harder it gets: I frequently can only make a handful of edits between crashes. I normally work with a split screen to confirm that the numbers are properly synchronized.
Aside from the absurd amount of time I’ve spent doing things this way, I’ve spent hours in chats with support people whose only solution is to take over my computer remotely and trash my preferences, all the while complaining bitterly about my system performance. All of this accomplishes nothing. This problem cost me a major client last year. I’m not happy, and I need a real fix, not a work-around.