Highlighted

Grammarly for InDesign

Participant ,
Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a question, is there a plugin or something like Grammarly for InDesign?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Grammarly for InDesign

Participant ,
Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a question, is there a plugin or something like Grammarly for InDesign?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grammarly? Wouldn't put much trust in that

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Googling for "how good is Grammarly", a quote from the first blog that recommends it:

Grammarly is useful for both native english speakers and those who don't write in the english language that often.

… really bothers me.

That said: if you have to check grammar style in your InDesign document, you're a bit late. It's way easier (also faster, better, etc.) to do such checks in a much earlier stage. That is, assuming that you're not using InDesign to write stuff in! There are much better tools for that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting response from the illustrator.uservoice.com (where the same thing was asked but inclusive of InDesign): Grammarly support for Illustrator and InDesign – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

TL;DR:

The admin's response: We have passed this request along to Grammarly and that while Grammarly thought it would be useful, they’re unable to prioritize it at this time.

Amount of votes at time of writing this reply: 236

Until that happens, the original poster may wish to check out the responses to this similar question over at IDS: https://indesignsecrets.com/topic/is-there-a-good-indesign-grammar-check-plugin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will say this…Grammarly is excellent. I use it on the web all the time. It’s not just grammar that it checks, either. Does an excellent job with spelling, as well.

That said, I also agree that these things should be addressed BEFORE the text makes it to InDesign.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> That said, I also agree that these things should be addressed BEFORE the text makes it to InDesign.

It's useful for people who use InDesign as an authoring tool (apart from using it as a typesetter).

P.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps, but I would think Grammarly might be a better plugin to InCopy.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is usually a given, however if you are creating works such as essays, which need citations an in text references, pasting these into indesign after the being written in another application is a nightmare(unless there is a method I am unaware of). A one stop shop so to speak would be a huge benefit.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, but as you know on any project there are a lot of stakeholders and changes get made during and after layout. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, everyone!

I am having so many problems with spell check in InDesign. I gave up trying to figure it out and fix it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, in France we are using Prolexis but i don't know if it's the best way for you !

Prolexis : ACCUEIL

But English language and American typo rules are in it .

Hope that help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenflymedia  wrote

I am having so many problems with spell check in InDesign. I gave up trying to figure it out and fix it.

I'll take the dive and ask anyway: are you sure you are using it correctly?

"Language" is, as it should be, a character attribute. You usually apply it through paragraph styles (which would set the default for your text), but you can overridethis with character styles, should the need occur (for instance if all text in French would also be italics, pourquois pas?) and of course you can apply it as an override for just le mot juste here and there.

I rarely "need" to spell-check, as my copy is usually (but alas, not always) correctly copy-edited before I get to see it, but I still rely on applying the correct language to selected phrases such as long quotes in another language than the main text, and occasionally on longer foreign words and proper names that may need hyphenating. That alone is a very important reason for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe... I have reset InDesign, did everything that was suggested.. and it still isn't working correctly. I just copy and paste and double-check my work in Grammarly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines