• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GREP First Instance Only

Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large directory I'm trying to format. Each entry has a list of items followed by a descriptive paragraph. Each item in the list has a label followed by a colon. I want to style the label along with the colon, making them bold and all-caps. I had success with the following expression:

.+\:

Which ends up like this:

PHONE NUMBER: 123-456-7890

The problem is, that occasionally one of the descriptive paragraphs will also have a colon, resulting in this:

OVERVIEW: THIS TEXT SHOULD NOT BE STYLED: and should return to normal after only the first colon.

I've been trying various expressions to get it to work and either I get all the text styled, none of the text styled or the above problem. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

TOPICS
Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

GREP is greedy by default; it tries to match as much as possible. Make your expression non-greedy by adding a question mark:

^.+?:

or use a nested style "Up to" and then type a colon.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GREP is greedy by default; it tries to match as much as possible. Make your expression non-greedy by adding a question mark:

^.+?:

or use a nested style "Up to" and then type a colon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Worked like a charm; I was putting the ? AFTER the colon, and also escaping the colon..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar case. But I want to get the found string without the colon.

If I would use following term it would be the same problem, it will become greedy:

Searching for:

(.+)?:

Replacing with (formatted): 

$1\r

That's the result:

mycc_0-1618790771508.png

Is there any solution to search for "OVERVIEW:", but replacing it with "OVERVIEW[new paragraph]" = not with the colon?

THANKS!

mycc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try this:

find:(.+?):

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines