• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help. Using indesign 2020 my 'w' key won't work when using type tool.

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just started to learn to use indesign. I was making progress, learning how to use text boxes et cetera when all of a sudden, when using the type tool, the 'w' wouldn't work. When I have nothing selected, the 'w' key does work as a preview shortcut, but won't work when typing lower case text. Upper case and '∑' will work but not lower case. The only thing that has worked is a complete restart, but wasn't long until I was gaving the same problem again.

Can anyone help? I've searched for fixes but they are either not specific for this problem or offer solutions that pertain to settings that aren't present in this version of indesign.

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selecting the "w" key, with nothing selected toggles between Preview and Normal view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That function does still work. The problem I've having is when I'm using the type tool. Every other letter I can type with no problem apart from lower case 'w'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that only happen with InDesign?

Which version of InDesign and OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a 2015 MacBook Pro, MacOS Mojave version 10.14.6

It's the 2020 version of InDesign version 15.1.2

It's not happened in any other apps I've been using, Adobe or otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any chance that you were messing with your keyboard shortcuts setting? Choose Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts and choose "Default" from the Set drop-down menu to make sure there isn't any funny business going on with your shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Keyboard shortcuts are set to default and I've tried switching it to something else and switching it back but it has no effect. I've closed the program and reopened it and that also does nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines