• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hotkeys for Bold and Italic?

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2009 Aug 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure this easy and I'm dumb for not knowing it, but is there a hotkey for making selections bold or italic?  I do a lot of that and it would save my wrist many hours to find a way to do this.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 09, 2009 Aug 09, 2009

Ctrl (Cmd) + Shift + B and Ctrl (Cmd) + Shift + I.

You'll find a nicely organized listing for all the default keyboard shorcuts as the second-to-last item listed in the contents for InDesign Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl (Cmd) + Shift + B and Ctrl (Cmd) + Shift + I.

You'll find a nicely organized listing for all the default keyboard shorcuts as the second-to-last item listed in the contents for InDesign Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: this won't work if there's no bold or italic variant installed.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, back in the day, it would do a faux italic or bold (I forget the term that was used), and that was a bad thing. Now you have to have the actual variant font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2014 Mar 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isnt working for me in inDesign CC… Does this feature exist still?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2014 Mar 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should. Do your fonts have those variants installed? Also check your Mac system prefs and other applications like browsers to make sure thay haven't 'stolen' the shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue on Windows 10. Ctrl+Shift+I works to toggle italics, but Ctrl+Shift+B does nothing. I do not know how to check for conflicting keyboard shortcuts on Windows.

Screenshot 2022-12-13 081803.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed that the shortcut does work with other fonts, so it must have something to do with how this font is loaded. As you can see in the screen capture, there is a Bold version of both Brandon Grotesque and Calibri loaded. Yet the shortcut works on Calibri, but not on Brandon Grotesque. Screenshot 2022-12-13 082558.png

Anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Character Style Options, I tried manually setting the shortcut for "[None] + Bold" to Shift+Ctrl+B. This did nothing. I then tried setting it to something else (Alt+Ctrl+B) and this does work as a shortcut for Bold, including on the Brandon Grotesque font. I do not understand how this works on this font while the default shortcut doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, this spot override formatting is (or should be) a seriously deprecated method and feature. If you're using ID as a word processor, I guess it makes sense, but those spot bold/italic/underline overrides are a perpetual headache in stuff imported from Word and are no better applied that way within ID.

Create bold and italic character styles as needed; if you must have shortcut keys, map them to these controllable styles yourself.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the screen shot Calibri is a locally installed font (most likely system font on Windows) while Brandon Grotesque seems to be cloud activated. Might you possibly have two different version of that font, Adobe and Goodgle, for example? That might account for the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It only works if the font has bold or italic variants and if they are encoded as such. THere is internal data in the font and not all Bold or Italic versions are properly linked to the normal version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my gosh! I'm so happy! I've only been using ID for decades. DERP! I'm doing a legal magazine, and they italicize all the things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't working. On PC. AE version 17.5.0. The font has a bold varriant. What am I missing. I even went into the Keyboar Shortcuts tool to see if I coud reassign it to a new key binding but "bold" and "italic" does not show up at all when I search the commands. What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind. Realised this is an InDesign discussion not After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sir Ctrl (Cmd) + Shift + B and Ctrl (Cmd) + Shift + I is not working so do you

have any ideas to make it correct  so could you plse replay my msg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a Windows keyboard on a MacOS I find that Win + Shift + B works for Bold and Win + Shift + I works for Italic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And again, spot overrides are poor practice whether they use this word-processing shortcut or not.

If you want this feature, at least create proper bold and italic styles and map them to whatever shortcut keys work best for you.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, that works like a champ.  Now if I could only select a word or series of words using only key strokes I stop using the mouse entirely.  Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl (Cmd) + Shift + leftor right arrow keys, depending on which way you want to move through the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2009 Aug 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You rock Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are threeother solutions:

1. Create Bold and Italic Character Styles with Shortcuts (see screen shot).
  2. Use QuickApply Ctrl (Cmd) + Enter (Return)Character_Style_Options.pngQuick_Apply_and__Untitled-1___104___GPU_Preview_.png
  3. If the same text or text string always needs to be bold or italic, the easiest solution is to set up a GREP style that will automatically apply the specified character style.Paragraph_Style_Options.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines