• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hotkeys (Shortcut) for Bold Italics in Indesign CC 2018

Participant ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be an easy one.....  but why does it not work.

I am editing an extremely large manuscript and each and every page has multiple words that now need to be Bold and Italics...  the amount of time I am wasting moving from the mouse to the keyboard is ridiculous.  In my perfect world my fingers would never leave the keyboard!

Anyway, I am confused as to why the shortcuts to Shift or Shift Command B and I are not working within indesign.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign doesn't let you apply a fake bold or italic as a style the way word processing programs might—you have to use the font family's real bold font.

This family has no bold or italic, so bold isn't an option and I would have to select Script to get an Italic.

Screen Shot 11.png

The best you can do is setup a Character Style, which can be a assigned key commands from a numeric keyboard. Universe regular has a bold font but its name is 65 Bold not Bold

Screen Shot 13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The shortcuts you want to use maybe MSWord ones and wouldn't work in InDesign.

Use Character styles for Bold Italic (assuming your typeface has bold italic) and use Quick apply or Find/Change if you have Word  formatting already applied (Direct formatting in Word is called Local formatting in InDesign) or run the Preptext script – even better! – do the whole thing in one go: https://indesignsecrets.com/perfectpreptext-a-smart-way-to-style-local-formatting.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines