• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you turn an InDesign page round so that it changes from portrait to landscape?

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have a problem and I've spent hours to no avail. How do you turn an InDesign page round so that it changes from portrait to landscape but keeps the design and layout intact? By which I importantly mean that the text frames become landscape in a book that keeps its page layout.

I am making a book for a client to self-publish. Most of the pages are normal portrait. However, there is a long (35-page) table as an appendix that needs to be laid out as landscape. That is, you turn the book around to read it.Imagine screen rotation on a tablet. That's what I want the end of the book to be like.

My preferred solution would be to rotate these pages 90 degrees, create a new text box, then place the table in, using shift-place to autoflow the 35 pages. But InDesign doesn't do it! I get one page of landscape only, the rest is back in portrait If I place a separate InDesign file it changes the page orientations.Placing landscape PDF pages have them put onto the portrait pages even if they have been rotated.

There must be a solution to this!

I'm using CS5.5.

Thanks in advance,

Alistair

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View > Turn spreads (only the selected one)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As my question explicitly states, I do not want to turn any spreads.I want to have landscape-oriented text boxes in my portrait spreads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screen shot or sketch something out and post a scan or photo of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Willi)         View > Turn spreads (only the selected one)

This is not a physical rotation. It's just turning the angle of view. At the end of the work you can continue to work by coming back to the normal point of view.

I uploaded a screenshot. You think about something like that.

Ekran Resmi 2017-08-17 00.22.27.png

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ceyhun_akgun  wrote

This is not a physical rotation. It's just turning the angle of view. At the end of the work you can continue to work by coming back to the normal point of view.

And you don't mean rotating the *view* of the spread from the view menu for the purpose of editing, correct?

Maybe Barbara has it right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just rotate the view

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand the question correctly—and I'm not sure I do—create a new master. Add two primary text frames. Rotate them both 90 CCW and then thread them together.

InDesign CCss_003.png

Assign them to the first spread of the long table, and autoflow.

InDesign CCss_004.png

To edit, you'll have to rotate the spreads:

InDesign CCss_005.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines