• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add Edge Animate Web Publish to FL EPUB 3 for iBooks.

Participant ,
Jul 03, 2014 Jul 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From this post, I understand it's not currently possible to place .oam animations into InDesign.

Edge has a Web Publish option, that outputs an html file, images folder, and some javascript files.

How would I add these pages to my EPUB created in InDesign? I'm using the 2014 version, with the Fixed Layout export option.

I imagine it's a matter or adding my elements to the manifest and renaming the html that Edge gives me... But I assume there are many more steps.

My intent is to publish this on the iBooks Store.

Thank you

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 15, 2014 Jul 15, 2014

Ha! You forget the power of engineering bugs and business realities which, IMHO, are often more powerful than evil intent.

Ask yourself, is the InDesign team more or less annoyed than you are with Apple? We wrote all this code, we wanted it to work, it didn't work. Are we sad or are we happy?

There really are a lot of moving parts which are only partially under the control of the InDesign team, the iBooks team and the Webkit team and everything has to fit together to work. That is just the way it

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2015 Jan 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting discussion.  Much of it is beyond my level of expertise, but I'm learning...

I have the same basic question, but with respect to animations produced in Flash and exported to html5 via CreateJS.  InDesign's method is to put these into the HTML Resources folder, and display them as web-content overlays.  Apparently, that would be in iframes, which doesn't seem to work in iBooks.  Is there a way to insert these into the FXL epub? 

I'm working on a biology textbook, for which it would be really helpful to have animations of the many dynamic processes that happen inside of us.  But how to get those animations to play in the epub?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Overlays are for DPS only. A lot of this is unnecessary for EPUB since native animations are supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure it's unnecessary to want to be creative. Native animations are currently pretty limited.

I think it boils down to the fact some of us were spoilt by the DPS single license and people are trying to be resourceful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No argument from me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bob.  I understand that overlays are the method used for DPS.  So, logically, there must be a different method to put the animations into the EPUB.  Is there a straightforward way to do this using InDesign CC2014?  Or, perhaps, in the next update?  A couple of the animations can be found here: Science Outreach.  Most of the others are on different pages of the same site.  These are the kinds of things I'm interested in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2015 Jan 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OAM is out of work in a ePub 3 generated by InDesign for many months now, DPS gonna be out of work in a single edition, does Adobe is trying to explain to the individuals customers they should have a look to others solutions ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2015 Feb 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess Adobe should not be advertising that their products can do something when in fact they can't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2015 Mar 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this moment, placed OAM animations work fine in iBooks on my Mac when placed in InDesign and exported as FXL ePub. And, no, on my iPad they do not.

Now: Digital Editions 4... on my Mac: working fine!

ADE4oOn Windows... blank pages!

And ADE4 on on iPad: no blank page, we see the poster frame... but nothing works (if it didn't already crash ADE4) if there is any interaction for the reader (like tapping etc). Just plain 'animations' play, that is more than we can say for iBooks!

Then again: scrollable frames (with the CSS) that work fine in ADE4 on desktop crash on iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2015 Mar 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

Is there a way to use oam file in  Other software or another program that will work on the iPad?

What to do? Want a book with animation.

When will update InDesign?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2015 Mar 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FXL EPUB supports almost all native InDesign animations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2015 Mar 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI

But I want to use oam files

Games and puzzles that I built in Edge

When will be able to use it in fxl book

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the device or reader app they should work now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Nope, not on tablets. IBooks on iPad will give you a blank page (and sometimes simply hangs after that); ADE4 on iPad will play animations but won't allow any interaction (tapping etc).

Azardi under Windows will hang. ADE4 Windows will work about 95% depending on the OAM.

What will work is Readium plu-in for Chrome browser, Windows (and Mac).

Speaking from expierence here, latest versions last week...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2015 May 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the trouble with this reasoning (HTML animation from Adobe Edge Animate OAM to Adobe InDesign in a DPS works, so should ePub work as well) might be caused by the fact that an ePub should contain ALL content within the file itself. Only explicite hyperlinks are allowed to call for online activity. That's also why it's difficult to use streaming video like YouTube and online components like Google Maps in an ePub; they totally rely on online resources. Apple is very protective and prevents undesired or unexpected online data usage from the user's standpoint. That's also why you need to be reluctant or at least very careful and clear in accessing online resources in DPS files after the initial download of the folio.

The second part in the final post in this thread: Tumult Hype | Hype and full bleed, fixed layout ePub 3... (Nov 24th 2014) gives you an inkling of this "online iframe vs. local addressing" phenomena. I'm not a coding wizard, but I do belief there's something to be dealt with from Adobe's side to make Edge Animate's output of animated offline components (or InDesign's input and output of the OAM) accommodate for ePub 3 FXL.

One of the other and more obvious culprits, is the use of those CDN options (for required jQuery scripts), in stead of keeping the scripts embedded in the OAM file or present in the Web output from Edge Animate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I have a complete solution that I've used to get HTML animation working on iBooks on iPad and accepted into the iBooks Store. Here's a draft article which will hopefully be published soon, but I'd like to verify it first. I would really appreciate it if someone here could test my method and report back? You'll need Hype 3 Pro as this method doesn't work with Edge Animate, nor with any text elements in the animation.

### How to make HTML animation work in ePub

Hoping for ePub to be a replacement for the Digital Publishing Suite? I know I was. Unfortunately there are some bugs which stop HTML animations from being displayed on the iPad’s version of iBooks, and stop links working even on the OS X version of iBooks. However, there is a solution, if you have access to Hype 3 Professional.

Currently, InDesign prefers OAM files for placed HTML animation files, and until recently, only Edge Animate could create them. The latest release of Hype 3 Professional adds OAM export, and it turns out to be the only way forward, at least for now. Why? The explanation is a bit convoluted, so stay with me.

InDesign embeds HTML animations into ePub using the iframe tag, inserting the HTML file that lives within the OAM package. Unfortunately, iframe doesn’t work on iPad — by design or otherwise — and you must avoid it. Peeking through Hype’s regular output reveals that it loads itself into a div tag with some Javascript, and as luck would have it, if you replace the iframe with the same chunk of div code that Hype uses, you can make the animation work on iPad, and the links work everywhere.

Edge Animate uses a different structure internally for its animations, and sadly the same strategy doesn’t work for Edge Animate output. If you can make it work, please share, but for now, it’s Hype 3 Pro all the way.

Important note: don’t use any text in your HTML animations. Use images only, at least for now, and PNG files are best if you want transparency. This solution is a workaround, and something about it doesn’t work well with live text.

Step by step, then:

Place the OAM files into your InDesign layouts, and export to ePub (Fixed Layout) as you would normally. If you test in iBooks for OS X, you’ll find that links don’t work, and if you push it to your iPad, animations won’t play at all.

Decompress the ePub to its component folders. I’ve been using “ePub Zip-Unzip 2.0.1” but later versions exist and should also work.

Dig into the OEBPS folder, and look through the page-based HTML files (one per page) to find each page where you used an animation. Look for the <iframe> tag that you want to replace and note what the name of the embedded file is.

Next to all the pages, there’s an “html” folder which contains a subfolder for each OAM file. Find the folder you just noted down.

Within the enclosed Assets folder, there’s an HTML file with the same name and the “.html” extension. Open that in a text editor and look for the code after the comment “copy these lines to your document”. Don’t copy everything, though — just the entire <script> line inside the <div> tag.

Return to the page-based HTML file where the <iframe> is, then replace the entire <iframe> tag (including the closing </iframe>) with the code you just copied.

OK. One important change. The file this code points to is in a different relative location. To update the URL in the src parameter, add “html/FILENAME/Assets/” at the start.

Another important change. While the div ID in our code should stay the same, we need to change the Hype-generated script file to point to the same ID. First, copy the ID name from the div tag that encloses the <script> line. Next, open up the script file that you’re referencing (something like “FILENAME_hype_generated_script.js”) which will be a couple of levels deeper in the .hyperesources folder. In the first line, you’ll see a parameter “c” with a value matching the old Hype-made ID name, like “FILENAME_hype_container”. Replace that name with the ID you copied, so it reads something like:

c=“_idContainer795”.

Save the file and close it. Open up all the other page files you’ve placed animations on, repeating these steps until all iframes have been replaced.

It’s a really good idea to keep a copy of these newly updated HTML files, just in case, but if you have any problems (or re-export any animations) you may need to start again from scratch.

One last thing you may need to handle is that some of the HTML files produced directly by Hype don’t have the correct XML name space to be accepted by Apple for distribution in the iBooks store. The easiest fix, even though these files aren’t directly referenced, is to add the correct code to the top of those pages. Which pages exactly? The one named “file.html” inside each Assets folder that you copied code from earlier. Replacing the lines leading up to and including <html> with:

<?xml version=“1.0” encoding=“UTF-8” standalone=“no”?>

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html xmlns=“http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml” xmlns:epub=“http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops”

You can now re-zip the EPUB with ePub Zip-Unzip, and it should work. Animations play everywhere, and the book should also be suitable for submission to the iBooks Store. They took this one, which has several embedded animations: iTunes - Books - Queensland Caravan Parks Directory 2015 by Caravan Parks Association Queensland

OK, that’s it! Preview and test. Hopefully in the future this will be unnecessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GREAT WORKAROUND, IAIN !!

Too bad I most users of Adobe software like Edge Animate and InDesign prefer elegant solutions that involve less or preferably no coding at all. And as you already state, it's hopefully something that will be a lot easier to tackle in the future. But you've untangled and explained exactly what the technical issues are with these OAM and ePub files. Kudos !!

And although an iframe is perfectly valid HTML to be included in an ePub, Apple choses to be reluctant in supporting ePubs on mobile devices. (Probably because 9 out of 10 times these iframes will refer to online resources). That's their choice and decision. Should Adobe cross their arms and sit and wait until the world ditches iPads ? Or could they try to come up with an elegant solution, implementing what you've described above in either Edge Animate and/or InDesign's ePub output ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a lot of trial and error I was able to create an animated picture book that was accepted at the iBookstore and plays correctly on all the versions of iPad I've tried. It also plays on the latest version of iBooks on the iPhone, though with one glitch I'll describe below. No coding was required to create this book.

The base art was rendered in Adobe Illustrator, sound effects processed in Adobe Audition and animations created with Adobe Flash. From Flash, the animations were output through "export movie" as a sequence of png's and the sound track output through "export video" to Adobe Media Encoder and saved as an mp3 sound file. The mp3 was then opened in Adobe Audition and exported as Apple MPEG-4 Audio, AAC. Even though Apple MPEG-4 Audio files can be saved in different modes, AAC was the only one that would play correctly in iBooks. The png sequence and audio were assembled in Adobe Edge and published as an HTML5 widget for iBooks.

One anomaly, that I believe is a problem having to do with ibooks, is that the Default.png (the static, starting image) renders at a higher gamma than the animation. This causes the art to appear to darken when you play the animation. This problem can be resolved by opening the widget (remove the .wdgt suffix and the file becomes a folder), find the Default.png, open it in Photoshop and lower the gamma (I created a curve layer input 134, output 117), then overwrite it as the Default.png. I also removed the poster.png which AdobeEdge unnecessarily includes in the" images" folder. One wishes to keep the file size down. Add the .wdgt suffix and it becomes an htmI5 widget again.

The book was assembled using iBooks Author. My book, "Balloon ABC,"  is vertically oriented with a full page animation that plays when each page is tapped. One full page widget is placed on each page. Because this is a picture book, the first page is the chapter head. Subsequent pages are pages within the chapter. To the user it appears that it is just 29 pages without chapters.

In iBooks Author, use the inspector to make adjustments to the widgets. I found it best to follow this order of adjustments. In the" layout" menu of the widget inspector - title, caption and background are turned off and the margin is set to zero. Then select the interaction menu option and set to "plays on page." Go back to the "layout" menu and turn off background and set margin to zero once again (is this a glitch in iBooks Author?).

Now go to the metrics inspector and set the size and position of the widget. A non-retina iBook full page is 768x1024. In the case of my vertically oriented book the widget was designed to be 768x884 pixels. This size was chosen to take into account the 20 pixel header at the top of the page and the 20 pixel band I added at the top of every page (defined in the page layout) with the word "index" added. If you make the widget at the full image area of a vertical page (768x1004) it is impossible to access the table of contents because the widget covers over the navigation and makes it inaccessible.

Pay close attention when you set the size and position of the page. You are setting the size and position of both the animation and the default image, though this may not be apparent the first time you use the metrics inspector. The first time the widget is selected you will see selection indicators at the top of the widget but the "file info" box will be empty. Be sure you don't select the widget again with the mouse because you are setting the position of the animation at this point. In my case, I set the size to 768 x 884 and position to 0x and 20y (moving the widget down to expose the index band). Viewers can now access the table of contents by tapping the index band.

If you select the widget with the mouse once again, the "file info" will show "Default.png" Now, you are setting the position of the default image (the static image when you first come to the page). I wanted the default image and the animation to be perfectly aligned so if the settings are the same as before 768x884 at 0x and 20y then all is well. If not, you will need to set those to match if you want the default image and the animation to be aligned. I have found if the widget does not play at the proper position and size, it's best to delete the widget and start over rather than try to fix it by re-entering values.

The enhanced iBook can be previewed in iBooks on a Mac although this is really intended for iPad and iPhone viewing so I think it's best to connect an iPad to the computer and preview it on the iPad. Once everything is working, you can submit it to the iBookstore. The latest iOS allows enhanced iBooks to be viewed on the iPhone. Unfortunately, at this moment, the "plays on page" interaction does not work properly and defaults to playing full screen. You can still view the book on an iPhone but the widget needs to be closed out on each page before you can move to the next page or access the table of contents. Apple is aware of this problem. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Even though my book was designed at the non-retina size, the graphics are acceptably sharp on a retina iPad and the file size doesn't get out of hand. One issue remaining - when the animation starts there is an annoying white flash. I believe a bit of code used to delay the animation until it's ready to play might resolve this issue but I'm not a programmer. If anyone has a solution for this flash problem I would love to hear about it. Apple mentions a bit of code to reduce the flash for Apple produced widgets but I was not able to get it to work with AdobeEdge widgets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we are about 6 years later and my test just yesterday using a Hype Pro generated OAM widget in an InDesign2020 document then exported to epub3 Fixed Layout still does not work properly on the iPad. There is a blank screen where the widget is supposed to be.

I can’t believe Adobe hasn’t fixed this by now. 

With the demise of iBooks Author many of us are now looking for a replacement app to use for design and production of multi-touch e-books. InDesign is the obvious choice but currently is a non-starter because viewing InDesign exported epub3 documents on the iPad still does not display embedded OAM widgets that contain interactive and animated content. Interactivity is what makes these books unique and more saleable.

Currently the best and easiest marketplace to sell our books is through Apple’s Book store, but without iBooks / iPad compatible epub3 files we cannot sell our creations through that store. (Yes, I know for the present we can continue to use iBooks Author but that avenue is bound to close eventually.)

Adobe has a long tradition of building the tools we designers need to design with. I have used those tools for 30 years.

Now is the time for Adobe to step up and create the new tools we need for e-book design and production, whether it be a version of InDesign or something totally new.

Give us the e-book creation tools with output that will run seamlessly everywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Give us the e-book creation tools with output that will run seamlessly everywhere."

Impossible at this moment, because reader software and reader platforms all support epub3 FXL books only to varying degrees.

In my 25 year long publishing and digital media experience epub3 FXL is one of the most fragile and fragmented book/interactive output formats that I have ever worked with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt that Adobe became a leader in software development for creative designers by shying away from the “impossible”

From the groundbreaking work that made postscript usable to every designer via Adobe Illustrator to the modern Adobe XD that brings easy to use experience designing to everyone, Adobe has always been there to produce the magic solutions that empower every designer to realize their dreams.

I can’t imagine Adobe wouldn’t bring those same sensibilities to developing a creative solution for the e-book challenges regardless of how impossible the process looks today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here we are, 20 years after the development of the first concept of EPUB, and we still don't have an EPUB standard that specifies the intricate, complex visual, interactive designs that designers want to create.

EPUB was conceived to be text-based, not design-based. It is HTML and CSS wrapped up in a file with the .epub extention. The latest standard, EPUB 3.2, is a bit more refined than its predecessors, but still does not accommodate FXL layouts and the fancy designs and interactivity designers expect. You can read the standard at https://www.w3.org/publishing/epub3/epub-spec.html

Don't blame Adobe for this: the standard isn't created with our work in mind. And Adobe won't create creative tools until there's a standard to define how the files will work across all technologies.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines