• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a book from multiple files / chapters?

New Here ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I wondered if anyone can help me. I don't use InDesign an awful lot and this is the first time I have created a book. I am working on a cookery book which has 15 chapters which are all currently separate InDesign files. At the moment there is 700 pages in total but we will be cutting this down quite a bit! 

I've got as far as creating a new book and importing all the files into it. The first problem I'm having is the page numbering. When I had a go at creating book in an older version of InDesign all the pages numbers followed on from each chapter. In the latest version, this is not happening (each chapter starts from page 1) despite reseaching and clicking 'automatic page numbering' I can't seem to get it to work. 

Anyway, am I going about this in the right way, and does anyone have any valuble tips for me.

TIA

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Hi KatyJane:

In the documents, go to page 1 and check that first page is set to Automatic Page Numbering.   Then select the files in the book window and choose Book panel menu > Book Page Numbering Options > Continue on Next Odd page (or whichever one you want.).

~Barb

EDIT: Actually, if you have front matter before chapter 1, be sure chapter 1 is set to start on page 1, then check chapters 2-15 to  be sure that they are set to automatic numbering so that they can increment.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KatyJane:

In the documents, go to page 1 and check that first page is set to Automatic Page Numbering.   Then select the files in the book window and choose Book panel menu > Book Page Numbering Options > Continue on Next Odd page (or whichever one you want.).

~Barb

EDIT: Actually, if you have front matter before chapter 1, be sure chapter 1 is set to start on page 1, then check chapters 2-15 to  be sure that they are set to automatic numbering so that they can increment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your reply, I will gve that a try. I actually need to create the front matter still, so would probably be best to do that first. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines