Exit

I can’t get the top lines together

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can’t get the top lines together, 

closer lookcloser look

the heading style has a shading formatting to it, and when I try to check, "clip to frame", it just cuts the frame, it’s not pushing it into the column, align to the grid is none, the columns are balanced to justify, when its the same paragraph style (both are body style) then it’s aligned to the top

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 3.51.18 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-25 at 3.51.29 AM.pngThank you very very much!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post the exact name of the Adobe program you use so a Moderator may move this message to that forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(of course) InDesign 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you posted in the Acrobat forum... I'll move your question to the right location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you setting your first two columns in a single text frame? Using the Split Columns option to put two columns in a single text frame?

If you are, the settings you're using to place extra space in the header will affect how all the sub-divided columns fit within the split-columns text frame. The Clip to Frame option will only mitigate, not fix, the alignment disparity at the expense of altering your shadowed heading style. That's what's happening to the formatting between the top and bottom header paragraphs in your first column.

I believe if you set each column as a separate, threaded text frame, you won't get the alignment problem you're having with columns one and two and the second column will line up like the examples you have for columns three and four. And if you still have issues, you can use your Arrow/Selection tool to manually adjust the top window shade on the second column to align with the top of your now-unaltered header, the text in the header, the top of columns three and four, or for that matter, anything you want.

Sometimes you have to persuade/force InDesign to give you the layout you want. The steps above will let you bend InDesign's automatic formatting to your will.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob:

I'm trying to understand the problem—I think the issue is that when the shading is at the top of a column it extends above the frame (clipping the shading) and you want it to align to the top of the frame without a manual adjustment, as shown below. Is that correct? 

~Barb

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 7.23.26 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand the issue correctly, you can use a Paragraph Rule above with the color set to none to achieve the look you want.

~Barb

shading.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jacob,

don't know exactly what you like to do. Something like in my screenshot below?

HeadlineBetweenTwoBaselines-1.PNG

The headline is not tied to the baseline grid. It has paragraph shading applied and all the text of the headline was moved down a bit with baseline shift. Body text is aligned to the document's baseline grid.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines