• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Excel tables which include formulas

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a problem when importing a table from Excel to Indesign.

I am getting errors when there is a formula behind text in the table. If the formula results in a number, the number is imported and there is no problem....but if the formula results in text, the cell will be blank or a '-1' appears.

Does anyone know how to get around this?

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Hi @Aoife5E96:

What version of InDesign are you using and what version of Excel?

This looks to be the same issue: https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/65160/data-missing-when-importing-a-spreadsheet-into-indesign

Specifically, "The issue is not how to import it, but rather that I'm importing a spreadsheet with formulas in them. If the formula results in a number, the number is imported, but if it text, the cell will be blank. This is where I have the problem". The answer was t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Does it help if you import Excel tables without formating?

table formatting.png

You may also check out this video tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0guCSyq-Avs). Hope it helps!

Regards,

Srishti

Adobe Evangelist Terry White shows how to bring in MS Word and Excel Files into InDesign and format them automatically. Also tips and tricks on linking and updating those files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help, but unfortunately this does not resolve my issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Aoife5E96:

What version of InDesign are you using and what version of Excel?

This looks to be the same issue: https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/65160/data-missing-when-importing-a-spreadsheet-in...

Specifically, "The issue is not how to import it, but rather that I'm importing a spreadsheet with formulas in them. If the formula results in a number, the number is imported, but if it text, the cell will be blank. This is where I have the problem". The answer was to save the Excel file as .xls and not .xlxs. Let us know if that works.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your help Barb. When I trry to save my Excel file as .xls it is warning me of many errors ...

Aoife5E96_0-1610439192121.png

I will save this and test in InDesign and create a backup for protection.

Aoife

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines