Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing pdf into Indesign

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I have a PDF with a floorplan of an event our company will be at. I would like to use this floorplan on the backside of a flyer. When I import the PDF - first drawing a frame and then placing (ctrl+d) the pdf - some parts are missing.

Here is what it looks like after I import the pdf in Indesign:

floorplan with stands missingfloorplan with stands missing

Here is the complete floorplan:

floorplan completefloorplan complete

Here is a link to the pdf if you would like to take a look.

Is it possible to import all elements of the pdf?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Open the PDF in Acrobat Pro. There is a Preflight Profile which flattens comments and annotations to be part of the PDF. After doing it, you can place that PDF into InDesign and everything remains visible.

This task can be automated to a batch processing.

Sorry, I don't remember the exact name of the Preflight Profile as I use Acrobat Pro in German in most cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a layered PDF? If so, I suggest either making a flattened PDF version or, when Placing in ID holding the Shift key to trigger the ID import options dialog. In the dialog click the Layers tab and make sure all layers are selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open that PDF in Acrobat Pro you'll see that a good deal of that content is actually annotations. InDesign will not import that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, there are 328 of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Bob indicated, the content that is missing is annotated content. Make a copy of the PDF and try opening in Photoshop, choose Save As, choose Format: Photoshop PDF and use the default High Quality settings in the Save Adobe PDF dialog. That will flatten all of the content, including the annotations, into a single image layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the PDF in Acrobat Pro. There is a Preflight Profile which flattens comments and annotations to be part of the PDF. After doing it, you can place that PDF into InDesign and everything remains visible.

This task can be automated to a batch processing.

Sorry, I don't remember the exact name of the Preflight Profile as I use Acrobat Pro in German in most cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all for the suggestions. I was able to import the whole document by using a PDF fixup profile (flatten annotations and form fields) in Adobe Acrobat preflight.

Greetings,

Alexander

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines