• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In Design- Adding an underline base on % of text size and offset spacing - can it be done?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to create a preset style such that I can assign and underline value, color and spacing based on a % of the size of text?

Example Headline is 30 pts & the underline is to be a stoke of 4% of the type size = 1.2 pt stroke. (now assign a color and add 14% of the type size for the underline offset)

So no matter what size the text is the underline will always be 4% and the offset will always be 14% of the type size.

Like a paragraph syle that I can assign... or maybe this would be an object style... 

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be handled by a character style, but since stroke thickness and offset distance is set in absolute values, you would have to make a set of them. 

The good news *might* be that you could Nested Style them into the paragraph style to automate the matter. It might also be possible that a GREP style could call on the correct size among several character styles. 

The bad news is if you are freely styling text at random sizes, for example title treatments, this would not be a good solution for you.

(I await the counterpoint from all you smart scripters out there!)

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mike

Thank you for the input. I didn't think of nesting and thought this might fall under GREP (with a lot of cursing on my part trying to do that!) In the end it might have to be a judgement call as to maybe just doing it for the 5 most common occurances. We just have a lot of brand standards and the more I can automate anything that could be a mistake I am all over it. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines