Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign 2020 extremely slow performance

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Know that I'm not the only one, but hopefully another post in this forum might get the Adobe Indesign team to solve the problem.

My Indesign 2020 is running extremely slow doing a 40 page magazine which I do once a month. Everything is slow. Moving boxes, pictures etc. Copying text, pasting text etc. etc. I could go on for long. It's everything.

Bought a new iMac three months ago and was looking forward to finally get some more speed and the possibility to update my Indesign CS6 (had an old Mac-tower from 2006 before). Everything is working great except for the program I use the most, Indesign. My old tower with ID CS6 was doing a much better job. Really, really disappointed. 

H E L P  N E E D E D ! ! !

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)

Processor: 3,6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

Memory: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB

System: macOS Catalina 10.15.4

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your answer which led me to a solution.

You asked me if the problem accured in new documents or existing documents. I have always thought that part of the problem was that it was a 40-page document. Normally I do posters, folders and other 1 to 4 pages-stuff. Your question made me think that the 40 page-file I am working with/in was actually based on an old Indesign-file. I saved the file as an IDML and opened it and it worked wonders 🙂

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Stay safe.

Cheers,

Tho

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting the InDesign preferences?

Are you using a third party font manager?

If none of these things work, I suggest you unistall InDesign, using the drop-down menu in the Creative Cloud app, and  reinstall it again. If that doesn't solve the problem then uninstall it again and then run Adobe Cleaner before reinstalling InDesign again.

Here's a link to Adobe Cleaner: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your answer.

I've tried resetting the preferences three times or more now. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times as well.

Font Book is the only font manager I use.

Haven't tried the cleaner though but as I can read in other threads it doesn't help. But I'll give it go and get back.

Cheers,

Thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Derek,

Appreciated your answer but it didn't help at all 😕

Cheers,

Thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some things you can do, but the sad truth is: InDesign simply IS slow... If you have a long table it is even worse: it will crawl. No fix for that... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Indesign 2020 is running extremely slow doing a 40 page magazine which I do once a month. Everything is slow. Moving boxes, pictures etc. Copying text, pasting text etc. etc. I could go on for long. It's everything.

That should not be happening—I’m running without any problems on High Sierra and much older hardware. Have you tried starting up in Safe Mode to see if there’s a difference? Does the problem happen when you create a new document, or is it with certain existing documents?

I haven’t run Catalina at all, but its permissions are fussier and can cause performance problems:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your answer which led me to a solution.

You asked me if the problem accured in new documents or existing documents. I have always thought that part of the problem was that it was a 40-page document. Normally I do posters, folders and other 1 to 4 pages-stuff. Your question made me think that the 40 page-file I am working with/in was actually based on an old Indesign-file. I saved the file as an IDML and opened it and it worked wonders 🙂

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Stay safe.

Cheers,

Thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines