• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Books Chapter Numbering Problem: 8 Document for 8 Parts, 37 chapters total

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating a 400pg textbook with 8 section and 37 chapters. The book is broken up into 8 InDesign documents, one for each part of the book and each part has 3 to 5 chapters in it:

[First Document] Part One

- Chapter 1

- Chapter 2

- Chapter 3

- Chapter 4

[Second Document] Part Two

- Chapter 5

- Chapter 6

[Third Document] Part three

- Chatper 7

- etc...

I'm using the Indesign book feature which has been super helpful with page numbers BUT it doesn't seem to work the same for chapter numbers. When I use the chapter numbering feature it only sees that I have 8 chapters (one for each document) instead of 37 chapters (multiple chapters in each document). Is there a fix for this?

TOPICS
How to , Print , Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Hi Amanda:

I have 37 chapters, will InDesign allow you to use 37 levels? Also, it doesn't solve auto-numbering with chapters #'s.

You don't need 37 levels—you need a counter that can increment 37 times. 

We haven't seen your file and you have not given us a lot of information so I have to speak in generalities.

Let's say that all you need to do is number your 37 chapter titles consecutively. In that case, I'm suggesting that you open up auto- numbering and change the chapter counter ^H to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't done any book work for a few years, so I don't really use the long-document features any more, but it looks like the chapter feature assumes one chapter per document. If you want to have several chapters in a single document, maybe use a section marker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. I'm using the Section Markers for the Chapter names, plus the Section Markers can't be used in "Bullet and Numbering" in paragraph styles, which I'm using to automatically number figures and images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. I'm using the Section Markers for the Chapter names, plus the Section Markers can't be used in "Bullet and Numbering" in paragraph styles, which I'm using to automatically number figures and images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I understand how your page is set up. Can you post a screen shot, with some labels of how this or that was made?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amanda:

It sounds like you are using the chapter number which—as Migintosh states—assumes one chapter number per file.

Instead of referencing the chapter number ^H in the auto-numbered list, start with level one ^1 and then move on to increase the other levels by 1 (assuming you are numbering subheads and other elements).

I would update chapter 1 and then sync paragraph styles to the other chapters. Be careful with syncing because if you're new to using it you can sync things you didn't mean to and you can't undo. I would recommend working on a copy of the book until you get this straightened out.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the only way to really fix the chapter numbers is to either have it all in one file or one file for each 37 chapters, correct?

Thanks for the workaround suggestions,

I have 37 chapters, will InDesign allow you to use 37 levels? Also, it doesn't solve auto-numbering with chapters #'s.

The styles syncing has really helped automate a ton of changes. With this particular project, I'm updating a file I didn't create (it's a little messy) and trying to see if I can avoid re-work at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Amanda:

You don't need 37 levels—you need a counter that can increment 37 times. 

We haven't seen your file and you have not given us a lot of information so I have to speak in generalities.

Let's say that all you need to do is number your 37 chapter titles consecutively. In that case, I'm suggesting that you open up auto- numbering and change the chapter counter ^H to the level 1 counter ^1. Redefine your chapter title style. This will immediately update the chapter numbers in a single file from 1 to 5, for example.

Then check your list settings—Type > Bulleted and Numbered Lists > Define Lists. Edit your list and make sure that you have enabled both checkboxes: continue numbering across stories and continue number and across chapters.

Sync to the other files and update the paragraph numbering for your book.

Next time, this would be easier to set up your book with each chapter as its own chapter (.indd file). That's how InDesign books are intended to be used. And then you can use the chapter number counter, because it increments once per chapter.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines