• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2017 and Reading Order

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read several Adobe forum discussions about the problem with InDesign CC 2017 and the reading order that results in Acrobat DC. I have attempted to follow the instructions in those discussions, and I'm still having the problem. In Adobe InDesign CC 2017, I've organized the Articles panel, Tags panel, Structure panel, and Layers panel. None of these have fixed the reading order. Note that previous discussions about this issue mention that the Layers panel must be organized in the reverse order that you want the items read (bottom layers read first, top layers read last). I was unable to do this because it rearranged items on top of ones that I need to be visible. One discussion advised tagging all images as artifacts to get around this problem. I cannot do that, some images are artifacts, but others are not, and I would like a screen reader to read their alt tags.

I thought that laying out each individual article in my 40-page magazine as a single text thread with frame breaks would help, but this method did not affect the reading order at all.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Is there a way to organize the Layers panel in reverse without rearranging the items in layout? Any help is much appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Realize that in Accessible PDF we have a Tag order and also a Reading order, not the same indeed. The Article panel only sets the Tag order! The reading order is set by the Layer order! And what is on top is latest and at the bottom of the Layers is the first (like reading from bottom to top).

Professional software like Jaws take the Tag order to read aloud luckely enough 😉

However, the Reflow view in Acrobat uses the... Reading order set by Layers order in InDesign (yeah, I know...)

You can drag

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your prompt response. noted about object ordering!..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember: the Object order is limited to the Layer it is on, each Layer has its own Object order, so Layer order is still important!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course! It's just much faster this way. But if it wasn't for your original comment, it would never even occur to me to think in this direction, so infinite thanks! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines