• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC 2019 performance issues / crashes

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anybody else having major performance issues with InDesign or having crashes? I can't move some textboxes (it just hangs until a couple of seconds), sometimes the program crashes after I moved a textbox. This started after the update to the recent version...and it's annyoing as hell!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

The latest build seems to be working for me - (v 14.0.1.209, win10, x64)  - hurray!

No more text box delay / program crashes (however, others have commented in another thread that the same build did not fix their issues). Here is the link if you don't want to wait for the official release.

link: Adobe Prerelease​

One thing to be aware of ... in the Creative Cloud "Apps" interface - it doesn't recognize INDD as being installed. I am hoping that this is a non-issue - but thought it was worth pointing

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 228 Replies 228
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weirdly my computer has just sped up..not sure whats happened as done nothing. Fingers crossed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I had the same sorta issue this morning, after selecting my workspace, and clicking into a text box, InDesign froze for about 15 seconds each time, but after InDesign "warmed up" lol it seems back to normal now aha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

that lag of time, about 15 to 20 seconds is a known issue, I think.

Happens only once in a session when you first access the Type Tool.

After that InDesign CC 2019 behaves in this regard.

Best,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you all updated to the latest Mac OS? I've tried everything on my iMac running macOS Sierra 10.2.6 and nothing works. Deleted previous versions of ID and all preferences, reinstalled the latest version of InDesign after restarting my iMac and still nothing worked. Do I have to upgrade to the latest macOS for this to finally work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dalen, I know for windows, the new CC19 needs the latest windows 10 for creative cloud to work, so I'm assuming you will need the latest macOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly I think you're right. I have the latest macOS on my MacBook and ID 2019 works perfectly. I was hoping I wouldn't have to update the OS on my iMac because I have some other apps not compatible with the latest OS but ID is more important at the end of the day. Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10.12 is fully supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob, I'm running 10.12.6 and it's still not working. I'm probably just going to end up updating the OS to the latest version and hope it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What’s not working exactly? Upgrading the O/S as an inplace upgrade may just make things worse. OTOH, if you’re planning a clean install, that might help, especially if Sierra was in place upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, ID 2019 just hangs and will not work. I've tried several things and the only thing left (that I think might work) is updating the OS on my iMac. ID 2019 works perfectly on my MacBook with the latest macOS High Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m using email so some of this may be covered but have you tried trashing prefs? Did you migrate your prefs from old version when installing? Do you have any third party plugins?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries and thanks for trying to help! I have some plugins. I'm going to delete them all. I trashed all prefs previously. I'm going to keep working on it before updating the OS. If something works I'll post in here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC2019 on Mac requires 10.12 or later; on Windows it’s ridiculously confusing. Win 7 SP1 or Window 10 1703 or later. No Win 8.x or early builds of Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange that happens the same on Mac and Windows..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actualized system a few secs ago and it didn't help. Freezing and had to be shut down hard... Hope somebody finds out how to fix it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, seems like it's happening across the board. VERY SORRY I downloaded the damn update. And I don't find suggestions where one ought to be a damn programmer to try and fix this useful at all. ADOBE, if you're listening, FIX THE MESS. This is ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgraded from CC 13.1 to CC 14.1 and at first, it just crashed continually.  I followed the instructions above

deleting plist and indesign preference files

ran again.  Opened the file I'm working on - not major just a kids book with lots of little images and non-Latin typeface.

this time it did not crash but the usage of the program was so slow it was pointless even trying to use to use it.  Simple tasks like scrolling - yes SCROLLING!!!!!! not even manipulating anything was painfully slow.

I've had no issues on the previous version of Indesign with this file - this is a warning bell - you've done something to the app that is overkill on memory - possibly a missing pointer causing a memory leak.

To tell you the truth - I was running Illustrator together with inDesign - which is pretty normal for content creators - having multiple apps open at once.  So I don't accept that I should run InDesign alone.....I'm not prepared to sacrifice my productivity for some developer's incompetence at having a properly functioning quality control and testing on -real-world computers.

I'm running Mac OS Mojave (10.14), on a MacBook Pro 2017, 2.9 Ghz, i7, 16 Gb RAM, 1 Tb HDD, Radeon 560 4Gb GPU

I have no 3rd party plugins for InDesign, all Preferences are deleted. 

I'm not running much else - safari, activity monitor, and preview while running InDesign.

I have a bunch of apps installed (obviously not running at the same time) and have 400 Gb free space.

It's October 2018 and you're bringing out InDesign 2019 which doesn't run on an i7 - serious performance issues - this is a problem!!!

A serious problem!  In terms of Quality, I've never been so disappointed with a product that I've actually enjoyed using. The development team for InDesign has issues.  There have never been problems with Photoshop! Why does InDesign have performance issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spoke to Adobe

possibly a 3rd-party font issue

so hopefully it will get fixed soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's hope so

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel F, THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES! I disabled all of my 3rd-party fonts in Font Book and now ID 14.0 is running snappy and everything works! Awesome.

Sure, I'll have to use some of those fonts at some point down the line, but for now I'm perfectly fine just using Type Kit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Third party font issue" means "our software doesn't work, and so we're giving you an excuse not to help you."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Btw, anybody had any luck actually contacting Adobe? Seems they ONLY offer Forums for support and don't offer chat or any other options 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to be logged into your Adobe ID on Adobe.com to do a chat. You need to make sure you don't have browser content blockers active.

If you still can't reach customer service, post here and we can contact an intermediary who will set up contact with you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was, of course, logged in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I click on the Type tool, InDesign freezes for about a minute or two.

When I try to click text in an older document, it freezes on me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines