• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Indesign is having difficulty reading some unsaved changes in ''doc_name''. It may damage the file

New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After update to indesign version 16.2.1.102 (macOS Catalina version 10.15.7), indesign is asking to repair document and won't save without a 'save as'. The doc can then be saved, but closing and reopening the doc results in having to go through the whole process of repair and 'save as' again!
Please help 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a couple ideas, and some questions. I'd like to start with the questions:

1. Where is the "doc_name" stored. Is it on your system hard drive? On a network? On a cloud drive you connect to? And if it is on a cloud drive, can only you get to it, or is it shared with other people?
  2. Is "doc_name" an InDesign .indd  file? Or is it the name of something placed into your .indd file?
  3. Do you have to go through the "Save as" drill every time, or does it only happen for one cycle of Save As/Repair?
  4. When you're "Saving as", are you replacing the existing file, or are you putting the new file in another location and/or saving it in a different name?

In general terms, InDesign file saving problems boil down to either the InDesign file (and its .idlk Temporary/Lock file) itself or something corrupted that has been placed within it. If you can share answers to the questions above, we can help you zero in on the cause(s) of your issues and likely solutions to fix them.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randy,
Thanks for your response.

To answer your queries:

- the doc is stored on my Mac desktop ( with linked images on a separate file server - connection, or not to this server makes no difference))
- the files are .indd files
- The docs open OK. I make changes and attempt to save and then get the’ repair’ request and I have to ‘save as’ which creates a new doc with ‘_recovered’ at the end of the filename. Further changes and saves can be made. When closing the doc and reopening I have to go through the ‘repair' and 'save as’ cycle again. Occasionally I get ‘Error’ and a indesign crash.
- this ‘repair’ and ’save as’ process applies to old and brand new docs created since Sundays update to indesign 16.2.1.102

With thanks chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it was just old files saved in previous versions, I'd attribute it to the version update. But if it's happening with new files, It could be either the file or something in it.

Let's start by creating a safe file to experiment with ... pick a typical file you've created since Sunday and navigate to it in a Finder window. Right/control+click on it to get your context-sensitive menu, and select the Duplicate flyaway menu command. This creates a perfectly identical backup, with only a different name and date/time hack. If anything should go horribly awry with the working file, you now have an untouched backup and nothing will be lost.

Normally, I would work from the copy. But since we need to test the file itself, we need to work with the original. We'll start with eliminating any .idlk temporary/lock file issues.

• Make sure that InDesign is shut down. Go to your Spotlight Search edit box (the one with the magnifying glass at the top right of the Finder window and type .idlk to search for any and all InDesign temp/lock files on your entire system. They will end with .idlk. If you're like most users you will have some of them scattered around your system. But don't be shocked if you're among the many users who find their systems are polluted with 'em. When the search is done, find all the files that end with .idlk and delete them all. If InDesign is closed — you did start this with making sure InDesign is shut down, right? — those files serve no purpose. If you can now open the original file without your alerts and just save it fine, the temp/lock files were the root of your problem.
  • If you still have the problem, package the file with all your linked files to a local folder. Close your errant original file. Open the packaged file with the locally-saved links. If it now works as expected, the issue has to do with the reach to your remote server and more attention will be needed.

Please try these two experiments and let us know if either/both of them worked for you. We'll know a lot more from the results and can hopefully help you get past your issues.

Hope this helps you. Good Luck.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randy,
It seems the problem was related to a conflict within the preference files which required deletion of the older file and a re-install of indesign.
Hopefully problem solved.

Thanks again for your input - very grateful
Best wishes C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. I'm glad that things worked out for you.

Can I ask a big favor of you though? Can you let us know exactly what you did to fix the problem. That way the moderators can save a useful answer to your issue that can help others who find themselves in the same fix.

And if you're having problems with Adobe apps in the future, don't hesitate to come back and sound the alarm. There are lots of sharp people around here who are happy to help.

Take care,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Randy,

I take no credit for the resolution of the issue. I suspected a problem with preference files and decided to contact Adobe directly. They were swiftly able to empty various caches, replace files and completely re-install indesign remotely (after the latest indesign update - which had caused preference file conflicts). Sorry I can’t be any further help but thanks again for your input and advise.
Best wishes C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines