Highlighted

InDesign running slow over VPN

Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

We are a team of 12 graphic designers that all have the same problem. We are using InDesign to build files and we have links on a server reached using a VPN. We get major slowdowns when the VPN is connected and none when it isn't. The problem is that we have to use it, no choice there. 

Anyone else have the same problem? Any workaround?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign running slow over VPN

Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

We are a team of 12 graphic designers that all have the same problem. We are using InDesign to build files and we have links on a server reached using a VPN. We get major slowdowns when the VPN is connected and none when it isn't. The problem is that we have to use it, no choice there. 

Anyone else have the same problem? Any workaround?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 02, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are so many factors involved, it's hard to pinpoint where the problems lies.

Make sure the designers are not in high-res view mode or in overprint preview.

If the designers are working from home, their internet speed could be a bottleneck.

If they are working wirelessly, that's a LOT slower than being hard-wired into the router.

As more people in the neighborhood go online, speeds often decrease. 

The server speed could be slow, especially with the VPN.

The server's internect connection might not be able to handle all the requests. 

Have you considered using low-res versions of the files, and using InDesign's Links folder to switch to the high-res images near the end of the job?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The team is working in 'Typical' image view.

Internet isn't much of an issue. Most have good internet connections, for example, i have a 450/50 connection on speedtests.

Server is top notch too, running at 20% capacity (data transfer wise).

Weird thing is that even if we do a package and work from the desktop, the slow transfer is still felt. That is what bugs me the most. When we do quit the VPN, stuff comes back to normal.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2020 0
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the slowdown happen with any other software programs (Photoshop, Office, etc.)?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the internet connection is an issue. reason is that you do not have the same internet speed when you are on the VPN and your VPN connection drops and comesback without you knowing. With cisco ( what i use to get on the VPN) give me notices when my connection drops and comes back.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem that I'm trying to troubleshoot. I'm running ID 2020 and Mac OS 10.15.5. For me, the issue starts as soon a I try to open a file. With the VPN activated, opening a local file will invoke the beach ball for about 40 seconds. The document even be blank so it's not that it's looking to link up to files that are on the server. Opening and closing files will invoke the beachball while the VPN is on. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 options of VPN to connect to my work servers. One is a utility specific for the NAS to connected directly. The second is a Cisco utility to connect through the firewall. The performance of access including working with Indesign files through either solution is about 50-60% compared to local performance. IMO, this is the expected performance of VPN.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2020 1
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is admittedly a long shot, but try adding your VPN to the Spotlight list of locations to not search (for Macs).

System preferences> Spotlight> Privacy> Prevent Spotlight from searching these locations> +

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that what is happening may very well be what can be expected when using a company sanctioned VPN. I found this out the hard way. When the current world situation first necessitated working exclusively from home with my own iMac I at first installed a VPN and logged in with the correct company credentials. At this point I did not notice any reduction in speed. After a few weeks, however, my company noticed me on the network and told me that they would have to do a proper company sanctioned install. Once they did this (remotely) I found that I began having the same problems that you are describing. It was awful! Apparently the VPN used by companies also involves installing security protocols which are constanlty running in the background and certainly conflict with running programs like InDesign in any kind of efficient manner. In my case, though, I actually only need the VPN to register time spent doing jobs. Our files are all stored on a web based server that doesn't need the VPN. So, in the morning after booting the computer I simply quit the VPN program altogether and then only launch it at the end of the day to record my time. Full InDesign speed restored! I realize that quitting and relaunching the VPN program altogether (it doesn't seem to be enough to just not connect to it) many times a day in your case may not be an ideal solution for you but it may be the best way to handle it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 2