Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

indic fonts not rendering properly

Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear friends,

The indic font Crimson Pro is not rendering properly. It renders great on google fonts page (see screenshot) but not in inDesign (See screenshot). I have enabled World Pragraph Composer.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much...

TOPICS
Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a different font, Adobe Devanagari for instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a few questions to go with my suggestions:

1. If you print the font from InDesign, how does it look? How about if you print the proof page in Google Fonts?
  2. If you create a PDF from InDesign, how does the font look in Adobe Acrobat? How does it print from there?
  3. How do you intend to use this font with InDesign? To create print output? To build digital publications?

Answers to the first two sets of questions help you determine if the print font is problematic, or if the screen bitmap rendering is. Answers to the third, if the font prints OK or there's just an issue with how it looks within InDesign, will help you determine whether you really need to care.

If you can output the end result you want, InDesign screen rendering is a bother, but perhaps not significant in the total scheme of things.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Crimson Pro has the glyph ṁ (latin small letter m with dot above GID 1117). So it won't print.

Adove Devaganari has it:

sāpi taṁ cakame vīkṣya
nārīṇāṁ hṛdayaṁ-gamam
hasantī vrīḍitāpaṅgī
tan-nyasta-hṛdayekṣaṇā

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I defer to your knowledge of this.

The steps I offered are good to define issues with any font rendering with InDesign. I'm not familiar with this specific font, or its usage. I respect your specialized knowledge here. Because I can't help with that part of the issue.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines