• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keep corner options from scaling

Engaged ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an object style for photos with rounded corners. When I scale the photos by holding Shift and Ctrl while dragging a handle of the object, the corner radii change and become overrides of the style. I keep doing Alt-Click on the style to fix them, but it's getting tiring - I do a lot of scaling as I lay things out on the pages. Is there a setting to keep the corners the same regardless of the dimensions of the photo object?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just drag from the corner to resize, i.e. do not use Shift and Ctrl (from CC2019 upwards).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek is right, but just to amplify:

1. Do not use the Ctrl-Shift combination as that will scale the corners. Instead, just drag a corner or use Shift alone to constrain proportions.

2. If you want the photo inside the frame to resize when you do this, set the object's "Frame Fitting Options" as desired, and click on the "Auto-Fit" checkbox to enable it.

Now you will have a photo with a border and corners that you can resize just by dragging or Shift-dragging the corners. The photo will resize and the corner radius will stay the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the Auto-Fit option, but that has two problems:

• If I don't exactly drag in a way that preserves the aspect ratio, the photo gets trimmed to fit. I guess that contrary to Derek's advice, I still need to use Shift.
  • If I want to trim the photo after I've turned on Auto-Fit, I guess I have to go into Frame Fitting Options again and turn Auto-Fit off, trim the photo (make the object smaller than the content), and then turn Auto-Fit back on.

How is this a better workflow than simply having my left hand poised on the Ctrl and Shift keys to selectively control what dragging does at any moment? I have been doing that so long, it has been second nature for years.

There are settings to control whether effects and the width of strokes are scaled along with objects. There really isn't a similar setting for corner options? I expected to be told where to find such a setting, not that it can't be done.

Derek said "from CC2019 upwards" - did this work differently in previous versions? I don't remember having this problem before. If that's the case, I have another question that might be related: I also can't get text to wrap around non-square corners, and I don't remember having that trouble before either. "Wrap around object shape" doesn't do it, no matter which type I choose for "contour options". To get wrap to honor the corners, I have to create an invisible rectangle the same size as each photo, round its corners, and use text wrap on that instead of the photo. (Text wraps correctly if it's a plain rectangle instead of a placed image.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Auto-Fit, the photo doesn't have to "get trimmed to fit." You can set it to work however you: fill proportionally, fit proportionally.

I don't think there's a setting to maintain the corner radius. Can't remember how it worked in previous version pre-2019.

If auto-fit doesn't suit your workflow, I guess you'll have to keep clearing the object-style overrides. A script could be written to do this automatically everytime you resize an object, but that's probably overkill.

For the text-wrap, I recommend starting a new question on the Forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I meant by trimming is adjusting how much of the photo is visible in the object. In the old workflow, I would drag an object handle without the Ctrl key, and it would bring in that edge of the visible object without affecting the photo content, hiding that portion of the photo (e.g. excessive background or something). In the new workflow, if Auto-Fit is on, how would I do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deal with this by re-applying the object style across the whole document at the end of my process. 
I use Find/Change Object to Find Rounded Box format, and change to Rounded Box format. Change All then way removes all overrides from all objects with that graphic style applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So irritating there is no usefull work around for this.... inevitably miss fixing a few at the end etc... I hate when the program creators dont actually use the program for real work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would make a good feature request (being able to disable corner scaling when the frame is scaled). You can add it here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've resorted to duplicating, cutting at points and rejoining.

Subscription money well spent /s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines