Linked File Size Limits

Participant ,
Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the file limit size that can be linked?  I have an Illustrator file that I've used to design the pages, then link into InDesign for exporting.  The file is now more than 2 GB and will not link.  Linking a smaller file works correctly.

Is there a work-around for this?  I can't easily separate the file into multiple files as many of the pages are designed along the way.

Thanks

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Luke Jennings3 | Adobe Community Professional

If you are working with many artboards, you may want to split it into several files (duplicate the .ai file, then select and delete the unwanted artboards). If you have complex patterns, which may be the source of the error message, you may want to simplify the objects in Illustrator (Object> Path> Simplify) or save the complex patterns as a high-res image, otherwise your printer might have problems in their rip. You could also save as a PDF and run an Acrobat preflight to Convert smooth lines to curves before placing into InDesign, these methods should reduce the number of vector anchor points and reduce the file size.

Do you need to use InDesign? If your pages are already properly set up in Illustrator, why not save as a PDF, using the Illustrator default settings? You can optimize in Acrobat, if you need to reduce the size.

Complex vectors with preflight.png

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Linked File Size Limits

Participant ,
Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the file limit size that can be linked?  I have an Illustrator file that I've used to design the pages, then link into InDesign for exporting.  The file is now more than 2 GB and will not link.  Linking a smaller file works correctly.

Is there a work-around for this?  I can't easily separate the file into multiple files as many of the pages are designed along the way.

Thanks

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Luke Jennings3 | Adobe Community Professional

If you are working with many artboards, you may want to split it into several files (duplicate the .ai file, then select and delete the unwanted artboards). If you have complex patterns, which may be the source of the error message, you may want to simplify the objects in Illustrator (Object> Path> Simplify) or save the complex patterns as a high-res image, otherwise your printer might have problems in their rip. You could also save as a PDF and run an Acrobat preflight to Convert smooth lines to curves before placing into InDesign, these methods should reduce the number of vector anchor points and reduce the file size.

Do you need to use InDesign? If your pages are already properly set up in Illustrator, why not save as a PDF, using the Illustrator default settings? You can optimize in Acrobat, if you need to reduce the size.

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 16, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi displaced7,

interesting. What's your exact version of InDesign and version of operating system?

Maybe that limit points to a limit in your operating system?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly happens when you try? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2020 0
Participant ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2020-11-17_7-09-49.jpg

That's the error I get.  When I decrease the file size, it will work again (and other linked files work correctly).

I am on Windows 10 and ID 15.0.2

No limits on my computer - 64GB ram, SSD, etc., etc.  I work with 10+ GB files all the time, the only problem is InDesign (and it's extremely frustrating, to say the least).  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing I would try is InDesign 2021.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2020 0