Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Locking Layers with Password

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

Trying to find a solution for locking layers in Adobe InDesign without option to un-lock (just with password), currently I understand there is no option just lock/unlock option.

Could you reccomend for somebody who alreasy expirience with Adobe SDK programming?

Thank you

Nissan

[Title renamed by moderator. Was “Re: Chat Support!”

TOPICS
Feature request , Scripting , SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

No, you can’t lock layers with a password in InDesign. I moved your post from a very old, very long thread in “Get Started” to the InDesign forum.

You can put in a feature request here: https://indesign.uservoice.com. I’ve heard others ask for this over the years. In the meantime, do you know about InCopy and are you using it in your office?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Could you reccomend for Java script programmer to develop locking layer with password?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, but I added tags to your post so if it can be scripted, the scripters will find it.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With JavaScript that's not possible. It indeed needs an SDK solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it could be done using a log file, prompt, and onClick prompts on the layers, though I don't think you can get an event to trigger by clicking the lock? In either case, it wouldn't be all that secure, since someone could just access the log file to find the password. I would just tell folks not to unlock layers unless they have a darn good reason to,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that it couldn't be done on a document by document basis, but what about a startup script that used an event listener to listen for a particular layername being toggled, and then call a prompt? Granted, it would only lock the layer on the machine that had the startup script, so if the file was opened on another machine it wouldn't work.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope can't be done.

You can file a feature request here - https://indesign.uservoice.com/

But what happens in 3 or 4 years when you need the file again and forgot the password?

I'd just lock the layers and tell the people working on it not to unlock the layers or make any edits to locked layers.

The other way you could do it only gives the content that you want them to edit using something like LayoutZones 

https://www.automatication.com/index.php?id=13

Not sure if it works with current InDesign versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

I'll try the Layoutzone.

Could you reccomend for Java script programmer (3 party) to develop locking layer with password?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you lock the layer and turn on Track Changes? Then you'll see if anyone changes anything on the locked layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nissan,

I'd ask the maker of this InDesign plug-in:

Protect INDD
DWKJ Eric

This plug-in protects InDesign documents with passwords.

https://exchange.adobe.com/creativecloud.details.3176.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are trying to stop people messing up a design, make a pdf of the non edit areas and place that in the doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I have a better idea. Hire competent people that can follow directions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines