• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make page numbers appear in column?

Explorer ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to get my page numbers to appear in a column format: e.g. instead of "page 233" it should appear as page

Does anyone know if this is possible to do? I cant' find an option in numbering and section options, and simply adjusting the text box the page numbers appear in just made all the numbers show up on top of each other.

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Yes, using the Stairstep option with text on a path. Follow the instructions in this tutorial, and come back here and let us know if you have any questions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zFrUC6O2jo

The only differences for you:

• Draw the path on the master page
  • Use Type > Insert Special Characters > Markers > Current Page Number to add the page numbers and don't forget to add the invisible character to maintain the horizontal alignment.
  • Duplicate to the facing master page and you should be

Votes

Translate

Translate

Yes, this is addressed in the video and in my post. You will need to add an extra character after the page number and then make it invisible. Watch the video again, starting at minute 1:18, then you should be good to go!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Drat. While Barb was providing her response, I was experimenting with a similar answer:

I gotcha.

I'm going to make the assumption that you know how to create page number markers already to automate part of this process. If not, check out the link below:

Creating page number markers on Master Pages

This was a fun thing to figure out. Try this and see if it works for you ...

Go to your left Master Page and draw a vertical line outside the page margins as shown at right by getting your L

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, using the Stairstep option with text on a path. Follow the instructions in this tutorial, and come back here and let us know if you have any questions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zFrUC6O2jo

The only differences for you:

• Draw the path on the master page
  • Use Type > Insert Special Characters > Markers > Current Page Number to add the page numbers and don't forget to add the invisible character to maintain the horizontal alignment.
  • Duplicate to the facing master page and you should be good to go.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb

Thank you so much! I've gotten close, but I can't seem to change the spacing at all, so the numbers show up like this:

amyeds_0-1590362247754.png

do you know how I could fix that?

Thanks!

Amy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is addressed in the video and in my post. You will need to add an extra character after the page number and then make it invisible. Watch the video again, starting at minute 1:18, then you should be good to go!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drat. While Barb was providing her response, I was experimenting with a similar answer:

I gotcha.

I'm going to make the assumption that you know how to create page number markers already to automate part of this process. If not, check out the link below:

Creating page number markers on Master Pages

This was a fun thing to figure out. Try this and see if it works for you ...

Go to your left Master Page and draw a vertical line outside the page margins as shown at right by getting your Line tool,1z.jpg

dragging straight down holding the Shift key to create a perfect vertical line.

2z.jpgGet your Type on a Path tool. You do that by placing your cursor on the lower-right corner of your regular line tool, where you see the downward-pointing triangle, as shown in the illustration immediately at left.

Click on the line with the tool, as shown in the image below. Place a current page number marker with the Type>Insert Special Character>Markers>Current Page Number. On your Master Page, it'll appear as aletter corresponding to the page shown below-left, then make the line "disappear" by clicking on it with the Arrow/Selection tool, giving it a stroke of 0 pt as shown below.

4z.jpg  4z1.jpg

Now's where the fun came in. Get your Text tool, 6z.jpg

highlight the letter again and go to the Type>Type on a Path>Options... menu command. In the panel select the Stair Step option in the Effect: options box, then select OK.

This is where fitting the page number type gets challenging. When you go to, say, page 222, the copy looks like it's 7z.jpg

crashed vertically, like the example at right. Working with normal type-fitting tools within InDesign like kerning, tracking and leading didn't change anything except the alignment on the top 2 numbers from left to right.

What finally did work, to some degree, was to effectively double the type size and select8z.jpg the  

Small Caps button in the Control Panel, as shown at right. Doing that resulted in the page numbers stacked with just a little bit of space between the numbers like the illustration shown below:

9z.jpg

Once you get the result you want, go back to your master pages, copy the marker and place it to patch on the right-hand page. Then admire your handiwork.

Try this and see how it works for you. And thank you for the interesting question. Normally folks providing answers get to share things they already know. Finding your answer was a fun experiment for me to discover something I really never knew before.

Good Luck,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Here are my couple of cents:

I tried Randy's approach but it resulted in some glitches for me:

2020-05-28_22-34-12.png

So, I worked out my own.

2020-05-28_21-28-31.png

Here I posted 'step by step' instructions, the sample file, and the script.

— Kas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah, that's what you meant by invisible letter! I'm with you now. Apologies!

Thank you Randy! I'll experiment with smallcaps as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's all good! We are here to help.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kasyan,

if you apply the Japanese Paragraph Composer there would not be any squashing of characters:

var rotationValue = 90 ;
var newTextProperties =
{
	characterRotation : rotationValue ,
	composer : "$ID/HL Single J"
};

app.selection[0].properties = newTextProperties ;

Cheers,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the tip, Uwe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to post some screenshots where I show a regular text frame on the master with an auto page number special character that was rotated by 90°. The applied paragraph composer is the Japanese Single Line one:

RotatedCharacter-AutoPageNumber-1.PNG

RotatedCharacter-AutoPageNumber-2.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines