Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple app versions installed

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Why when there is an update on Indesign, the old versions are saved on the computer?

see how it's looks like in my computer (and it's not just in Indesign):

now I have 4 vertions: Untitled-1.jpg

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Activation billing and install , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you update your Adobe apps through the Creative Cloud applications, you will see a checkbox that allows you to retain or remove old versions as you update. Next time, be sure to choose to remove old versions as you update. (I tend to play it safe and keep the older version until I know the new one is working as expected.)

At this point, you can return to the CC desktop app and uninstall the versions you no longer want to use through the ... menu to the right of Open buttons.

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 1.22.16 PM.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer.
Just to understand: you suggest to update the Indesign every time that we have update, and when I'll see that it's work good, then I can delete the old version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see from my desktop app screen shot, I keep two versions installed of InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop—the current version and the last version. I keep both updated to their current patches. When the next major updates come out at then end this year, I'll remove the 2018 versions. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign is a special case and I’d keep all versions. Because if you want to collaborate, all editors need exactly the same version. Or making work for anyone else, they may demand a specific version. Less important for most apps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the amount of versions doesn't slow down the computer? Still, they take alot of the memory.
And if I delete all previous versions, will there be files that won't work with the new version? How is it possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.
I'll do what you suggest.
Hope that once I delete, all my files, from all the years, will work as usual and there will be no version issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to the suggestions given in earlier responses, I'd recommend checking out help article https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html to know more about Advanced Options while updating apps.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Having lots of versions installed does not slow your computer, and they use no memory AT ALL until you run them. Only disk space (which is a different thing, it can be pretty confusing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines