• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Objects randomly disappearing, becoming corrupted, and causing InDesign to crash

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use InDesign frequently for work, creating and publishing a magazine. Recently I had a strange issue that I could not figure out! Randomly elements on one page would disppear and I'd find them apparently shrunk down to zero at the center of the page.

What it should look like:

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 2.39.03 PM.png

Corrupted (?) page:

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 2.38.44 PM.png

You can see the green anchor points in the center spine of the pages in the second image above. The layers are still there in the layer panel and the link panel, but I'm unable to move or resize them. Any attempt to shift or resize them using the toolbar or anchor point, gives me the error "This value would cause one or more objects to leave the pasteboard." Evening setting the size or positioning to zero gives me this error. Attempting to delete the objects crashes InDesign (just completely closes). Attempting to move the page in the page order, crashing InDesign. Attempting to change the Master page number on that particular page (change or remove) crashes InDesign. I tried restarting InDesign, restarting my computer, and yes Indesign is up to date. 

This happened three seperate times in this document, on three seperate pages, of all types of links (text boxes, images, graphic frames, etc). Completely at random. I hadn't touched any of those elements, moved them, nothing to cause an error. 

Eventually I was able to find a workaround by moving all the pages to a new document (using the Move Pages option), where suddenly the corrupted elements were correct again. No idea why this one feature was still workable, but I'm thankful. 

Can anyone explain why this would happen or how to prevent it from happening? 

ETA: Added all the logs for InDesign on the day in question. Not sure if its helpful, but there it is! 

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'll be happy to help. There are multiple factors both internal and external to InDesign application that can lead to document corruption. Moving all pages to a new file is a good workaround for this kind of scenario.

I'd request if you can share some more details like:

1. Version of OS and InDesign.

2. Is it happening with just this document you mentioned or with others as well?

3. Are links in the document saved locally or on network?

4. If this is happening with just 1 document, would it be possible to share it with us here (if it is not sensitive)? We can take a look and try to find the cause. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Thank you for any insight you can provide.

On the day this happened, I had Mojave OS and the latest version of InDesign (I've since updated to Catalina OS, which was a mistake and I'm looking into rolling back). Unfortunately, I can't share the document in question, as it contains proprietary information that hasn't been published yet. I tried to delete out the non corrupted pages, but InDesign just crashes whenever I try. It seems to be a entire file corruption, not just those specific elements that are corrupted. This is our 45th issue, and previously had no trouble of this sort. 

All links are saved on a network, but are on the same drive. Layouts within this issue were created in seperate documents originally, and were moved into this "Master" document. Original documents had no issues, and even this master document had no issues until near completion. As mentioned, nothing was happening to that specific page when the elements abruptly disappeared.

The only thing I can think of, is there were frequence link updates, as we reviewed and corrected any errors. The text is linked in InCopy, so our editors were making text edits across the issue at the time. Meanwhile I was shifting and adjusting links on other pages. Perhaps it just overwhelmed InDesign and the corruption was an unfortunate random occurance? 

I attached a document of all the system log reports from InDesign on the day in question, in case that is helpful in some way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for providing these logs. I'll have them checked and will let you know if we find something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this problem with Indesign 2020 (Mojave). I have been experienced repeated crashes as well. 

Can you explain what the nature of the problem is? I have never experienced anything like this on Indesign 2018 all the way back to CS4. It seems that every release since 2018 is rife with bugs. I try newer versions every now and then (I even keep them up to date), but it only confirms that observation.

Catalina user, here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this problem with Indesign 2020 (Mojave). I have been experiencing repeated crashes as well. 

Can you explain what the nature of the problem is? I have never experienced anything like this on Indesign 2018 all the way back to CS3. It seems that every release since 2018 is rife with bugs or performance hits that never get fixed. I try newer versions every now and then (I even keep them up to date), but it only confirms that observation.

Catalina user, here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem! indesign 2024 (+ using Incopy 2024). Tekstboxes and other design-elements just 'randomly' dissapear. Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @suzanneh69748255,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Can you confirm the version of the operating system? Is it possible for you to share a small video of the issue? We'll try our best to assist you. 

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe indesign & Incopy 2024

iMac
4,2 Ghz-quad-core intel core i7
Radeon Pro 580 8 gb
32 gb 2400 mhz ddr4
Ventura 13.6.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Graphic elements such as a square and tex-boxes dissapear in a, it seems a tiny square in the middle of the spread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh

Some of the corrupt pages here

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/xfowhe91ot091yjdpjo9j/h?rlkey=sdu3s6kjt3nysorbj5wl6z1go&dl=0
2024_corrupt pages map
dropbox.com

This is my system (screenshot)

Tanx for help!
Suzanne

Adobe Community

Rishabh_Tiwari (Adobe Employee) mentioned you in a post! Join the conversation below:

[InDesign Discussions] <> Re: Objects randomly disappearing, becoming corrupted, and causing InDesign to crash <>
Hi @suzanneh69748255 <>,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Can you confirm the version of the operating system? Is it possible for you to share a small video of the issue? We'll try our best to assist you.

Thanks

Rishabh

Reply | Upvote <>

Adobe Community
<> <>
You may manage your notification settings  <>or unsubscribe  <>from all Adobe Community e-mails.
Adobe is located at 345 Park Avenue, San Jose, CA 95110 USA. Copyright © 2023 Adobe. All rights reserved

Privacy policy <> | Contact Us <>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines