Exit

Placing text from Word Doc does not work

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Your expert advice is very much needed!

When I place text (using the place command), my formatted text appears with unnecessary page breaks - even with no page breaks selected:

This is driving me insane... please help 😕

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

If it's in Keep Options, look at the Start Paragraph, or show your dialog. This should be set to "Anywhere".

If not, are you using a Style? Show the General tab > Style Settings. Maybe we can spot the error faster if we see a screen shot or two.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be a column break. Turn on hidden characters and we'll be in a much better position to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could also be a paragraph level setting to start the paragraph in a new frame.

Try Bob’s idea first. If that doesn’t work, we’ll need to see the formatting for the Paragraph style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for getting back to me so quickly, you guys rock! Will try it and get back to you x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so it seems that each new paragraph (or return/enter space) is ending up on a new page - I checked the Keep options and all seems to be fine.

Any more suggestions? 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh! I'm such a dufus! In Keep options, start paragraph was set to 'next page'. i switched it to 'Anywhere' and it's allowed me to place text as the word doc is set:

thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome! Even though you said the Keep Options were okay, I was pretty sure it was the Start Paragraph. But it could have been anything mentioned!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's in Keep Options, look at the Start Paragraph, or show your dialog. This should be set to "Anywhere".

If not, are you using a Style? Show the General tab > Style Settings. Maybe we can spot the error faster if we see a screen shot or two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was exactly the issue!

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me - project back on track lol x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had this problem. I reverted back to my previous InDesign document version. The solution given is correct, but newbies like me might not know where to find Keep Options window,  as I did not know where this was and had search the topic some more. 

To get to the window with the Keep Options panel as discussed here,  I did these steps:

Have the cursor in the InDesign document that will be Placed into, not in the process of the Place function;

Go to the top tool bar: Type / Paragraph Styles / Double click on one of the styles / Keep Options / Start Paragraph / Anywhere / OK

For me, changing one of the styles seemed to apply it to all of the styles. After having the document with each paragraph on a new page, I then used the Place function again and it worked OK. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, I mis-typed above, it should read, "After having the document with each paragraph not on a new page,  I then used the Place function again and it worked OK."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines