Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing text from Word -text doesn’t show

Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign - current version. 
When I try to place a Word doc, I see the cursor is loaded and when I try to place it I see a frame is made - but I cannot see the text. I can even see there is the plus indicating there is more text to flow. Why isn't the text showing? I've done this before with no problem! I looked at text wrap, text color, arranged objects. But I'm placing on a brand new document. What the heck!? This has really ruined my day!

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Let me ask a couple of things of you:

1. When you place the text and click into the text frame, then press Cmd+A, the keyboard shortcut for Edit>Select All menu command. (You are using a Mac, right?), do you see lines of highlighted text crossing the width of the text frame? Or just little black boxes along the left side of the frame?
  2. With that text all highlighted, If you select Cmd+Y, the keyboard shortcut for Edit>Edit in Story Editor menu command. When the Story Editor box opens, do you see

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Hi Applepeople,

just to add something to Randy's very good advice:

In case the Word document contains images it could be that a placed image frame will block the text that comes after the image frame. This could happen if the image frame is larger than the InDesign text frame you place the Word document.

Two workarounds for this:

[1] Do a huge text frame on the pastebaord and try to place the Word document to that frame.

If successful change the size of the blocking image frame.

[2] Remove the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me ask a couple of things of you:

1. When you place the text and click into the text frame, then press Cmd+A, the keyboard shortcut for Edit>Select All menu command. (You are using a Mac, right?), do you see lines of highlighted text crossing the width of the text frame? Or just little black boxes along the left side of the frame?
  2. With that text all highlighted, If you select Cmd+Y, the keyboard shortcut for Edit>Edit in Story Editor menu command. When the Story Editor box opens, do you see your text just like you did when opening the MSWord .doc/.docx file?

If you see the text highlighted all the way across the text frame, and you see the copy in the Story Editor window, you likely have a problem with the text formatting within InDesign. Giving it a new paragraph style with a color of [Black] should alleviate the problem. If you don't see the text highlighted all the way across the text frame, and you don't see copy in the Story Editor box, you have an importing filter problem. To get yourself past the issue quickly, go back to MSWord and save the copy as a Rich Text Format (.RTF) file, then place the .rtf file. That should, hopefully, import your copy with your text formatting intact.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Applepeople,

just to add something to Randy's very good advice:

In case the Word document contains images it could be that a placed image frame will block the text that comes after the image frame. This could happen if the image frame is larger than the InDesign text frame you place the Word document.

Two workarounds for this:

[1] Do a huge text frame on the pastebaord and try to place the Word document to that frame.

If successful change the size of the blocking image frame.

[2] Remove the images in the Word document before placing in InDesign.

Do that with a duplicate of the Word file.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Randy and Uwe!

Between the two of you I was able to figure it out. Using Story Editor confirmed the copy was there. Showing hidden characters in ID didn't reveal paragraph marks or anything. But when I did a delete, my copy appeared. So, maybe it was an image, like Uwe said.
You both saved me who knows how many hours of more struggle. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines