• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing from Indesign skips titles of chapters

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While printing book from Indesign I encoutered what must be the most bizarre computer bug of my life. In a continuous text, cut and pasted from a Word file into a box of the Indesign document, using the "threading" fucntion, the title of chapters will not print. Only if I delete the empty lines which separate the titles from the following text will it print. If I create an empty line somewhere else in the text, the text is printed normally above and below the emtpy line. But the titles dont survive being separated from the following text... So that, in the end, I printed a complete 120 page book, in 7 chapters, and the only problem, but unsovable, is that the 7 titles do not print....

TOPICS
Bug , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must add that the titles are technically not "headings" whatever that is exactly, they are just part of the continuous text copied from Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you thought of using InDesign's Microsoft Word Import Options facility to match Word Styles to InDesign Paragraph (and Character) Styles.

Presumably you're printing from an InDesign created PDF rather than directly from InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your input. I'll look into this.

I am printing directly from InDesign. In the version I have of Adobe Acrobat I could never figure out how to print a "booklet" which can be folded and bound, with everything in the right orientation, which I can do easily from InDesign.

I don't understand how InDesign —or maybe the interface between InDesign and the printer — can even see that a title is a title: it is the same font than the text except in capitals and bold, it is centered instead of justifed on the left,  and it is separated from the text by a few blank lines and that's it. To complete the picture, in one of my attempts the printing process skipped two words between quotations in an otherwise fine paragraph...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

Copy and paste is not the best workflow, you should Place text and images.

Are you printing to your own desktop printer or putting it out to a commercial printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mc OS Catalina 10.15.7 InDesign 16.0.1

Thanks I'll look into "Place text" function.

Not commercial printer, but not desktop either, I am printing from a office type multifunction Konica Minolta C284e.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines