Exit

Problem with hyphen in pdf from indesign

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now in several different documents had the same 
problem that some words, at the end of a sentence and
with a hyphen, in the exported pdf, appear with a strange sign. 
I don't see this sign in indesign, but in the pdf it's clear. What is this cause?

hyphen indesign.jpghyphen_pdf.jpg

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What font is it? Does it only happen with this specific font?

It looks like it may not have embedded correctly. Deleting it entirely from your system, and re-installing it might fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, did you find a solution yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I never solved the problem, and still have it with many different types of font;(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My two cents. I had the similar problem. In my case I found out that I had 2 different languages set inside one paragraph. After changing whole paragraph to one language, everything works fine. As soon as I set one word to be from different language, similar problem with hyphen over character is back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This solved it for me thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi together,

I think, that's a known bug!

Did you enable the option "PDF Tags" in the export preset for PDF?

Try to disable it and export again.

If this is not possible because you need a tagged PDF we have to go to the source of the issue. And unfortunately this is the usage of the "Adobe World-Ready Composer" plus perhaps some formatting overrides with your paragraphs. Change text composition to the "Adobe Paragraph Composer" or the "Adobe Single-line Composer" to get rid of the issue. However that means, that you have to proofread the whole document again.

Read about all the details here:

Automatic hyphens randomly have letters in them
bracewell4213, 2 hours ago
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/automatic-hyphens-randomly-have-letters-in-them/td-p/1218946...

Support a fix of that bug, I can see it already in InDesign CS6, and vote at InDesign UserVoice:

PDF Hyphenation Bug when line has cross-reference, hyphenated word, and option is to create Tagged PDF
Sonny Rafael, February 13, 2019

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/36835285-pdf-hyphenatio...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines