• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publish online: changing scroll direction

Contributor ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I publish online, the scroll direction appears to be sideways, meaning the user has to press left / right on order to navigate through the pages.

The design I'm working on has arrows to direct people to the next page, I'd need to have these horizontal to make sense with how online documents work. But then if the user downloads the file as a PDF, the arrows will be pointing in the wrong direction... seeing as Acrobat / Apple Preview scroll vertically.

Is there a way around this? Can I set online docs to scroll vertically instead?

TOPICS
EPUB , Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be misunderstanding your question/issue, but... if you have arrows on the page, like this "<" and ">" they will take you to the next page in the PDF. Even though the next page is physically below, the arrows have the desired effect, especially when the PDF is downloaded and viewed via Acrobat or Preview. Set the PDF to the view "Single Page Only" and the click will have the desired effect. I've done this with this example. I have such arrows for page to page navigation, download the PDF and you'll see how it works. http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 14, 2023 Oct 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats a good solution thanks, but Adobe really needs to just set the scrolling to vertical like everything else out there (presentations, PDFs / Word docs etc)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am hoping that your issue has been resolved till now. If not, please feel free to update this thread else let us know if any of the suggestions shared above helped you or not.

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am having the same issue. When I click on Diane's link above, they only way to view the next page is by clicking the arrow to the side. If you scroll down ( just like you would on most websites/apps/social media and acrobat reader etc), nothing happens. Is it possible to make the published document scrollable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to change Publish Online's built-in navigation from hortizontal to vertical. You could add it as a feature request here: http://bit.ly/improvepublishonline. There does not seem to be a previous request, so you can start a new one. Adobe's engineering team checks these posts to get ideas about which new features are most in demand.

In the meantime, you could build navigation on your page that mimics this, by creating up/down arrows that link to a text anchor further down/up in the text. Not exactly the same, but it might be a satisfactory work around/brute force technique. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to add, you might look at Ajar Production's In5 plug in; I think it offers this capability. 

https://ajarproductions.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here - can't publish a pdf from Indesign...that scrolls down - all users scroll down with their phones... can this be something that is addressed in newer updates please? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wish more people would help get this moved up on the priority list. Amazing to see it's been an issue going on four years. Same problem - no solutions. Publish Online feature would be great if it could accomodate the standard scrolling UX/UI as most digital formats. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines