• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

QR Code overprint.

Contributor ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By using the QR code option in Indesign, I can change the code colour, but I did not find an option for doing overprint. How can I get my QR code colour which is black to overprint?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

QR Codes are Postscript Pictures so you can't set their Overprint. You can set them to Multiply, which would have the same affect as overprint for black.

If the background is a solid CMYK fill you could imitate an overprint by mixing CMY with the black. Here the background is 100% magenta, so the QR code fill is 0|100|0|100, which forces the OP:

Screen Shot 2.png

Screen Shot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QR Codes are Postscript Pictures so you can't set their Overprint. You can set them to Multiply, which would have the same affect as overprint for black.

If the background is a solid CMYK fill you could imitate an overprint by mixing CMY with the black. Here the background is 100% magenta, so the QR code fill is 0|100|0|100, which forces the OP:

Screen Shot 2.png

Screen Shot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/rob+day  wrote

QR Codes are Postscript Pictures

Hm, someone told me that Postscript (well EPS) is old technology... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, someone told me that Postscript (well EPS) is old technology... 😉

Scripting lets you get the class of an object:

alert("Selection is:" + app.activeDocument.selection[0].getElements()[0]) 

Screen Shot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Generate and manage QR Codes in InDesign

Manage QR codes in InDesign

You can now generate and edit high quality independent QR code graphics from within InDesign. The generated QR code is a high-fidelity graphic object that behaves exactly like native vector art in InDesign. You can easily scale the object and fill it with colors. You can also apply effects, transparency, and printing attributes, such as overprinting, spot inks, and trappings to the object. You can copy-paste the code graphic as a vector graphic object into a standard graphics editor tool such as Adobe Illustrator.

Obvously that's wrong and should be changed in the Help files.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiply produces the same result. Can't think of a case where it would be a problem unless the workflow doesn't allow any transparency in the document?

Screen Shot 7.png

Screen Shot 8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, I didn't doubt your word. I was just told by someone from Adobe at some time, that EPS was old technology... Well it still may be, but it's probably easier to generate this as EPS than PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can copy and past the QR code into Illustrator document, then in InDesign to convert it in vectors

Manage printing attributes from Attributes panel (Window > Output > Attributes)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's quite an operation... I will try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And once the vector object is in a PDF, tools like Enfocus PitStop can set the code to overprint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enfocus PitStop is not for free. That's good for the developers, but I need more to justify such a tool. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So tempting to promote my solution as the superior one: [Ann] QR Code for InDesign CS4 and up

It also generates an external object, but rather than an unwieldy EPS, it's an (embedded) bitmap TIFF file. That means you can apply any color you want after generating it, including overprinting black.

InDesign CC:

InDesign CS4, bitmap TIFF:

with the QR code selected both left and right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that I used your great tool before Adobe decided to incorporate QR codes into Indesign. Before I used QR code generator web sites. But it is not always clear, if the info is not used by data collectors. 😞 It's a bad world...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines