• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Relink in not working in InDesign

Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a document in InDesign where it says it says I have five missing links. I go to relink the files and I find they are already in the correct locations. Even when I click on the exact files to relink, the program still shows that the files are not linked. This causes problems when I have to make a PDF for proofing. I have the latest version of IND and am using a PC/Windows 10.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

I decided to create a new file and copy all the contents from the newsletter to the new file and now it is not showing any errors. Luckily it was only 8 pages. I've never encountered something like this before and it seems like it started after the latest update. I'm hoping this doesn't happen to other files I created in previous versions that I need to Save As to work on a new edition.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There could be corruption in the file. Try saving as IDML (File > Save As > InDesign CS4 or later  [IDML]). Reopen the InDesign file and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that did the same thing. The paths are all in the correct places and when I try to relink them, it still shows the link is mssing. I also still get the dialog box when I first open the file that, "The document contains 5 links to sources that are missing.. . . ." And below the red dot that says "5 errors".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decided to create a new file and copy all the contents from the newsletter to the new file and now it is not showing any errors. Luckily it was only 8 pages. I've never encountered something like this before and it seems like it started after the latest update. I'm hoping this doesn't happen to other files I created in previous versions that I need to Save As to work on a new edition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was a good move and indicates that there was corruption. Glad it worked for  you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issues this week since the updates last week. I tried creating an IDML and restarting, but this happens on multiple files. When I manually relink the images I see that they are indeed in the folder. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this will fix the problem, but you could try individually opening the files that are missing in the program they were originally created in, and re-saving them to your computer (not to a network drive). Then try updating the links in InDesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the links on your hard drive or on a network server? If on a server try saving locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had a similar problem, and in the end found that relink worked when I manually clicked through all the folders to the right one, but not when I searched by file or folder name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines