• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reset preferences not working - Urgent!

Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - as a last resort, because I've had the most ridiculous problems that no one can figure out - I'm trying to reset my preferences. And lo and behold, NOTHING happens when I type Control+Alt+Shift. I have a lot of tools that aren't working properly and this was the only solution we could come up with, so of course it's not working. I've held them down together and for a long time, I've held them down together and released right away, I've done it immediately when I launch InDesign, I've done it while InDesign has already been launched, etc. Nothing I do get the pop up to prompt me to reset the preferences.

Why would this be something that doesn't work? I'm slowly losing my mind and can't do my job until this problem (hopefully) resolves my OTHER problems. Can someone help me by chance? Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Reinstall does not always fix your problems unless you use the Cleaner as well.

You have successfully deleted your preferences as seen on your other thread. I have come up with two possible solutions to the gradient issue, but with the new threaded interface, they may be buried, sorry! Check this link:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-gradient-tool-only-black-and-white/m-p/10813477#M168734

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to hold those keys down immediately when launch the application not afterward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I know, but I was trying everything because it wasn't working. I'm probably not being quick enough or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you need to reinstall the InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think so too... The slew of problems I've been having with Photoshop and InDesign are unbelievable and no one seems to know the answers. Hoping that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstalling DOES NOT reset preferences!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob, the point of the reinstall isn't to reset the preferences... After I did the reinstall, some problems I've been having with multiple tools ever since the update earlier this week are gone. Not only did I know from past experiences that this can be successful, but multiple people recommended doing this today. But thanks anyways!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can trash your preferences manually.

To do so on a PC:

On Windows 7 and above the preference files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings. Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>. Make sure that InDesign is closed when you do this. When you relaunch the program it will create new preference files and the program will be at its default settings.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files in this manner is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much for that information!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstall does not always fix your problems unless you use the Cleaner as well.

You have successfully deleted your preferences as seen on your other thread. I have come up with two possible solutions to the gradient issue, but with the new threaded interface, they may be buried, sorry! Check this link:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-gradient-tool-only-black-and-white/m-p/10813477#M16...

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines