• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Right Click Image > Edit With > Photoshop (changing the default option)

Engaged ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

How do I change the 'Edit with' option when right-clicking an image in InDesign?

My work PC, when I right click an image I get the helpful option to edit with Photoshop, but when I'm on my home PC I get less than helpful options like paint and notepad.

When I click the 'Other' option I have to find the Photoshop.exe file but there are no options to make this the default setting (Like you typically do on windows when selecting a new file type > program)

Anyone know how I can do this as I often switch between the two.

I've checked through the preferences but haven't found the option.

Photoshop CC

Indesign CC

Both updated to latest versions

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s an operating system level option. There should an “other” choice.

You’ll need to browse to Photoshop to choose it. Or set it as the default for image editing and use edit original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right click a image file (for example .jpg) > then click "property" > "Open with" click on the "Change" button > choose Photoshop application > OK

Now open indesign and all the .jpg images you can edit by default with Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't wish for images on... say my desktop to default open to Photoshop every time, I like the Windows image preview. I just want Edit With > Photoshop through Indesign.

Unless what you're saying does that? but it sounds like I'd be defaulting the whole system to open all .jpgs through Photoshop, which I don't want.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, it is just like it sounds. You can't set different associations for the same type of files. InDesign just blindly follows system settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But on my work PC, I can open images on my desktop, documents etc and double click them and they default open to widows image preview, not photoshop. And InDesign has the option Edit with > photoshop...

Nore had I ever done the above suggestions for this to happen on my work PC, so I don't understand?

They're both windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Notice there are two separate commands: Edit With… and Edit Original. With the first one you can choose application to open a linked file from InDesign, while the second launches default app directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fig_1.jpg

Yes, I'm aware of both options but on my work PC I can open it with PS but on my home PC, I don't get the above option, I have to click 'Other...'then find PS.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, yes, it's a known problem with a long history already, still with no bullet-proof answer.

Check this old thread, or just google 'indesign edit with'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's slightly incorrect. The Windows default file/image viewer and InDesign's "open with" file association is only affecting the "edit original" option. Not "Edit With". I'm with @Dynamic Office and share their frustration. Even a .PSD inside my InDesign file will not even show me the Photoshop option listed under "Edit with".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, FIVE YEARS LATER...it's an O/S issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mine was finding Photoshop just fine as a listed option, until recent CC updates. Now it's broken (doesn't show Photoshop as a listed option, and when I navigate through the "other" option, it doesn't show the exe even though the explorer window shows it in the app folder.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines