• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange letter d character in printing - not visible in PDF

Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this issue for several weeks with Amazon KDP and can't get it resolved. 

The letter d lower case italic is appearing through the book as a blob. I've got copies from several printers and it's the same. However, the error isn't visible in the proof at this end, or on their online proof. It affects over 30pp. 

I've tried X-1a to export and also High Quality setting. There are no pre-flight issues and the fonts appear as embedded. 

Can you advise, please? At my wits' end! The font is Crimson Text. CrimsonText-Italic TTF is in the font folder.  

Many thanks, 

Jules

ORDER # 205-4554315-7723542  Dramatic Techniques page 14.jpg

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen when you use an OTF font?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying.

I don't know where to find an OTF or how to do this. I'm using a template and I've always used the supplied TTFs.  

I've also deleted the Fntlist file, reuploaded, still the same. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you advise on where to install the OTFs please?

I've put them in the local font folder for the document, but they aren't in the dropdown for mapping.  

Nor can I find where the Adobe application folder is. Online advice says C:User[name] Apps -  but there no font folder. 

Thank you.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have worked out how to install globally, + the mapping. Just trying the upload now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way to replace the TTF fonts with the OTF fonts is to move the TTF fonts to another location on your computer. When you open the InDesign file, if InDesign can't automatically update to the OTF fonts, it should bring up the Find Fonts dialog, which you can use to replace the TTF version with the OTF version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, thanks. Have substituted OTFs and the blobs have disappeared in the PDF, so that's hopeful. It's thrown out the page layout but will sort this.

The strange thing is, the blobs didn't appear in the online previewer. It looks like the TTF was buggy?

Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it's possible that the font was problematic. As Derek indicated, OpenType (OTF) is the preferred format for fonts these days for publishing projects. They've been around for a long time, they work on all platforms, all major font foundries provide them, and they often provide a wider range of glyphs than TrueType or Postscript fonts. When I get jobs that don't use OpenType fonts, one of the first things I recommend is to switch to OpenType if at all possible, as it can prevent headaches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you on and what version of InDesign are you using to create the PDFs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Adobe CC 15.1.1 x64. 

Windows 10. 

Tried 1a and High Quality print export protocols. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OTF stands for Open Type Fonts and are the recommended type of font format to use on ePubs. They are downloable via Adobe Fonts in InDesign using the Find More facility. Adobe Fonts are licenced for use on ePubs, you have to buy a special license to use fonts for ePubs for fonts from most commercial foundries.

Are you creating a Reflowable ePub and converting it to mobi?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for info, David. Would love to do a reflowable but it was a pig's ear when I tried it 🙂 May give it another go with the next book and use Adobe fonts. Substituting fonts for this book will throw the whole layout out, I suspect.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines