Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

suggestion on making an indesign catalog small enough for emailing

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

I have a 22 page color catalog (8.5"x11") designed for print. When I export a smallest size pdf 121dpi version for emailing it's still 44 megs. All images and graphics have been sized to use at 100% and i followed standards best practice setting for removing bloat in the pdf creation. I've tried many different avenues for shrinking but none yeild good results.

My last ditch effort was to make a full size pdf > open the pages in photoshop and then size the resulting psd's down to 96dpi and convert to JPEG from there I combined the jpegs in acrobat to form one pdf. this reduced me down to 13megs but I still have less than desirable quality in the text blocks throughout. Any great ideas would be helpful.

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Some of the pattern backgrounds behind the dimensions contain complex vectors, If you rasterize them or reduce the complexity, your PDF size will decrease. Complex vectors.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Luke is right, if you look at page 3 of the first section the patterns have been rasterized, but on page 4 they have been left as vectors. If I extract and save page 4, its file size is 40mb, but page 3 extracted is only 621K. Or, deleting page 4 reduces the file size of the first part to 2mb.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be nothing you can do. Put it on a web server and email a download link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob. That's what I've suggested to the boss but he wants sales people to be able to email it out to propects 😒

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the boss wants is irrelevant in this case. The salespeople can email a link as easily as a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphics are typically what cause large file sizes for PDFs exported from InDesign. What kinds of image files are in your InDesign file? Are there any vector format (.ai, .eps, .pdf) map files? Those can create a lot of bloat in a PDF, especially if they are not properly streamlined for output and contain hundreds of unnecesary path points and high-resolution bitmap backgrounds.

Using JPEGs for PDFs is not advisable, as the files are not searchable nor accessible, and as you indicated, reader experience will suffer if the resolution isn't high enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all AI vectors have been converted to jpegs at true size. That didn't help at all (I thought it would). All product images are jpeg at 100%. Using acrobat optimize auditer I find the issue pictured but not sure what to change to affect it. I dont have any gradients in the layout. I am converting the pdf to sRGB on export as well.

pattern info.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been some discussions in the past about Photoshop history metadata coming in with placed files and bloating InDesign documents. See the end of this thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/file-size-is-too-big/td-p/9370587?page=2#10084949

The fact that your audit shows the image data taking lass than 2mb suggests that the bloat is some kind of info—I don’t know what pattern information actually means, but maybe it is metadata?

Does the excessive file size happen if you export page ranges? If you export the first half and then the last half, are both PDFs equally large? Can you package the doc and links and share it via Dropbox or your CC account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've exported in two seperate files (first half, last half) both files are roughly the same size and can be inspected here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ahydr8lxt2yt7nd/AADLTKlgR2vEfQCgKsVyeTZaa?dl=0

Hoping to find someone who knows what the (pattern information) reference in acrobat's auditor panel is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Luke is right, if you look at page 3 of the first section the patterns have been rasterized, but on page 4 they have been left as vectors. If I extract and save page 4, its file size is 40mb, but page 3 extracted is only 621K. Or, deleting page 4 reduces the file size of the first part to 2mb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We would need you to package the ID file with its assets in order to check if it is the metadata problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the pattern backgrounds behind the dimensions contain complex vectors, If you rasterize them or reduce the complexity, your PDF size will decrease. Complex vectors.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input. I'll give that a try and see if it is indeed the pattern culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This nail it on the head. final 150dpi pdf output went from 40 megs to 5 megs. I had converted all other ai files to jpeg or png but had overlooked those six files. Thank you much. 🙏🏼😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this in Acrobat Pro:

1. Run Redact and Remove Hidden Information.
  2. Run Optimize PDF and use Advanced Optimization
    1. The only change I made was setting color and grayscale images to 150 ppi if over 150 ppi.

I got the combined 84 MB + down to about 6 MB.

I ran it on section one of your PDF and it went from about 42 MG to just over 2 MG

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks so much. I'll give that a try and report back the reesults for posterity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The redact>remove hidden info works well but removes png transparency and makes a mess of dropshadow placement on psd transparency. If i uncheck: deleted or cropped content & overlapping objects then the transpaency is left intact but the file size reduction becomes negliglible. from 65 megs at print quality to 42 megs after redact and optimize to 150ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing any major issues. Can you upload a screen capture?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The ai files mentioned above we're the culprits. I was able to use your redact suggestion as well to shave another meg of for hidden info. When I use the critera mentioned above for cropped content and overlappin gobject I get this result.

before:

before.png

after: 

after.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines