• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table Cells breaking across page boundaries

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having trawled through the archives, it seems that InDesign will only break tables on rows, not cells.

I am importing a two-column, multi-page table from Word. Some of the paragraphs are very long and the current breaks are not desired. I could manually split the cells but this document will go through several revision cycles, which will no doubt change the flow/breaks at each revision. I can think of nicer things to be doing than manually re-flowing tables!! 

So, has anyone tried to script a solution? Is it even possible, or do I look at converting to text (although I have no idea how that would work either!).

Suggestions, solutions or sympathy are all allowed!

--

Kevin

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Hi Kevin,

never tested but there is a script that tried to accomplish this. Go to:

Плагин/скрипт виртуального "разрыва" ячеек при их перетекании между страниц.

Perhaps scroll a bit down and see for

BreakTableRowBetweenFrames.rar

If you have any questions regarding the script best ask George Salnik here at the forums.

George_Salnik

Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

never tested but there is a script that tried to accomplish this. Go to:

Плагин/скрипт виртуального "разрыва" ячеек при их перетекании между страниц.

Perhaps scroll a bit down and see for

BreakTableRowBetweenFrames.rar

If you have any questions regarding the script best ask George Salnik here at the forums.

George_Salnik

Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

Thanks for the pointer. The script will split Cell text at paragraph marks and fit as many of these paragraphs into the space on the preceding page.

I'm still not convinced that tables are my way forward (although I don't see any alternatives). Given that the document could be revised extensively, I think more time will be spent manually re-flowing tables.

Regards.

--

Kevin

PS. Quick question. Does FrameMaker suffer from the same table issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KevinBird1966  wrote

… PS. Quick question. Does FrameMaker suffer from the same table issues?

Hi Kevin,

sorry. No idea if FrameMaker has a build in option for splitting table rows between frames.

You could ask here: Adobe FrameMaker

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly (*), the FrameMaker online help is as vague on this as the InDesign manual. I could not find any definitive statement going either way.

(*) As in "Interesting. Probably the same programmer who wrote both."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote myself -

but the script must be run after completing setting the publication, and any subsequent editing wrecks the publication utterly.

This is must-have feature that Adobe ignore all the years of InDesign life.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely too late but Just For Comment:

I've of course studied with interest the russian code.
Let's say mine plays totally differently (I even think more simply)!
This is a beta. The next version, I will post on YouTube soon, will include more layout cool features! …  😉

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't suppose this is available for download somewhere is it? It would really help me out! 

Best,

Hum3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm sure you can contact him through his Facebook group listed on his Youtube page. But probably not for free. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

II use a work around. Split the middle row to add another. Then just spread this new row over the inside gutters and remove the lines. Shouldn't need to, but it works fine imho.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines