Highlighted

validator errors relating to fonts

Explorer ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In running an epub of a book through the validator, I've been getting a number of these types of error messages:

"INFO(CSS-007): ./books/Bo/databases/eBookIt/temp_uploads/1589238597.epub/OEBPS/css/idGeneratedStyles_0.css(29,2): Font-face reference OEBPS/font/Baskerville.ttc refers to non-standard font type application/x-font-ttf."

Any idea what this means? Thanks, folks.

Topics

Bug, EPUB, Import and export, Publish online, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

validator errors relating to fonts

Explorer ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In running an epub of a book through the validator, I've been getting a number of these types of error messages:

"INFO(CSS-007): ./books/Bo/databases/eBookIt/temp_uploads/1589238597.epub/OEBPS/css/idGeneratedStyles_0.css(29,2): Font-face reference OEBPS/font/Baskerville.ttc refers to non-standard font type application/x-font-ttf."

Any idea what this means? Thanks, folks.

Topics

Bug, EPUB, Import and export, Publish online, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ePubs require the use of Open Type formats for fonts !

So you need to use fotns with a little "O" behind its name.

Next danger: the font needs to allow packaging in an ePub.

So verify if you have the proper license to do so, otherwise it might give you another warning, that the font will not be included. (BTW,  not getting that warning doesn't mean that you're legally on a safe side – always verify your license...)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2020 0
Explorer ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your reply, Peter. I actually just posted another font-related issue from a validator warning: 

./books/Bo/databases/eBookIt/temp_uploads/1590631189.epub/OEBPS/Styles/idGeneratedStyles.css(36,2): Font-face reference OEBPS/Fonts/Antonio-Bold.ttf refers to non-standard font type application/x-font-ttf."

My first guess was maybe it was a font conflict or incompatibility issue, but the same font (and css) is used throughout the other chapters and they exported fine (no warning messages) so I'm wondering what's going on. The only thing that's different is that this chapter contains a table whose borders I set to 0 in Sigil, but that would be unrelated, right?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font is being referred to in the CSS file (for the whole ePub),

not in the HTML (per chapter), as you can see from the warning: 

[...]idGeneratedStyles.css

Why it hasn't been reported earlier, is unclear to me.

Are you creating/validating a Reflowable or Fixed Layout ePub ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2020 0
Explorer ,
May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, I'm exporting to a reflowable epub.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2020 0