Lightroom Classic: Very slow rendering in Develop module

21 Votes
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2015 Apr 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi folks,just installed LR CC. Rendering in develop module is really slow. Eg. when I move between photos, it takes a good 3 seconds for the photo to fully render. Displays "loading" for about 2 seconds and then a further second or two before the image is fully rendered.This isn't happening in the Loupe view.This is with a new set of photos I just imported, and I had "build 1:1 previews" set during import.Is this an issue or have I got a setting wrong somewhere?It wasn't quite this bad on LR 5.ThanksDave
Bug Unresolved

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
75 Comments
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, go to preferences> performance and turn off the gpu to see if you're happier. There a trade-off - the smoother interactivity with it turned on its traded for slightly slower load speed while the data is passed from the cpu to gpu.
-------------------------------------
The Lightroom Queen - Author of the Lightroom Missing FAQ & Edit Like a Pro books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Victoria,

Yes that seems to make a difference.

What's the trade-off for turning it off?

FYI i am using raw files.

thanks
Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have worded that - what do you mean by "smoother interactivity" ?

what does the GPU function actually do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric's post might help Dave: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1828580
The Lightroom Queen - Author of the Lightroom Missing FAQ & Edit Like a Pro books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Victoria. Looks like leaving it turned off is the way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 25, 2015 May 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR 6 CC is installed on 2014 Mac Pro 12 Core Dual AMD Fire Pro 700, 32 GB Ram 1TB SSD, Dual Apple HD 30 Displays

When I first open LR CC, all is ok, tools are fast , Radil Filter is fast, after a short time in Develop module, the program starts to slow

The Radial, and Clone tools become VERY unresponsive, as well as global adjustment tools also slow,

After 1hour when using the Develop Module, the radial filter become UNSTABLE, the filter was VERY unresponsvive,then it would cause the entire screen to go Black, no image displayed, then the radial filter disappeared, and was not on the image.

As far as I am concerned LR CC IS NOT useable, I am amazed at how this product has been released, I also run Perfect Photo Suite 8.5, and DXO Optics Pro 10, both are VERY fast and stable.

QUESTION: will I need to wait until LR 7 next year, or can they fix this with LR 6 updates,

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 25, 2015 May 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have to agree with Laurence; LR6 is looking more like a 'train-wreck' each week.
I accept that all software has some bugs but there are far too many problems appearing in LR to be acceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2015 Jun 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR6 is unusable..worst release by Adobe in a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2015 Jun 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree - should never have upgraded to this version om LR. Have had Adobe-tech looking at my computer three times - with no success at at all. First it wouldn't import video-files, then it wouldn't import at all - for no reason it imports pictures now - but is like 15 seconds to load each picture even in loupe-mode. Even though the files just has been loaded once. Adobe-tech told me I could open the CC-catalogue in LR 5 and keep on working in that version. Not true. Lots of other glitches too.
Really hope Adobe will work fast, for once, on an upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad I found this post and found it isn't just my MacBook! It has been getting worse and worse, to the point I cannot finish editing my season's photos and I'm getting very upset!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jul 19, 2015 Jul 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using LR for years. LR CC is by far the slowest working release. The program often hangs. Also, when LR is opened, the temperature of CPUs go to max. even without doing anything. It is stressing my machine to the core.

Windows 8.1 / latest LR CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR5 is the go to app. The LR CC simply adds nothing but frustration with the crop tool unstable and many other glitches. I have decided to cancel the contract and await an update asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't happen to use a Wacom tablet, do you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I do use Wacom tablet. Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been some other Wacom-specific bugs and I'm trying to figure out the links. It would be really helpful to know whether you see the same problems with a normal mouse/trackpad, and if not, which Wacom Driver you're using. I suspect that's key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tried to examine the Wacom tablet preference and noticed that I'm required to reinstall the software in my system is incompatible. A reinstallation of the original software is required. I'll try to do so now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right, the Wacom was the problem. I've installed a new driver and the crop tool appears to come back to normality. Thanks and you've saved Adobe one customer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news, thanks for the update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have LR 6.1.1, GPU support off, SSD drives, 16GB of memory, rendered 1:1 previews and swiching from one photo to another and back takes seconds to display sharp image in Develop module on Intel i7-3770K running 4.5GHz. This is unacceptable behavior, when 1:1 preview is available - it MUST be displayed in a fraction of second! Thank you for solving this simply bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2015 Oct 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in LR CC 2.1---not the same LR dependability from my LR 3 and 4 days. Way too many hangs, mouse works on somethings, sometimes and not on others. Long times loading images---sometimes. Always crashes or hangs upon reopening. BUH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 11, 2015 Oct 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried restoring your prefs and then relaunch Lightroom? http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjourn...

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2015 Oct 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thanks for the suggestion---no I haven't tried this. Yesterday I couldn't get it to open at all! So I tried signing out and then back in, to the CC app. So far so good. But I've book marked that link you posted just in case...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2015 Oct 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greeting all. First off thanks for writing about your experiences. Nice to find others having similar issues and what they have tried...

I am in the midst of a major LR CC slow down dilemma as well. Wanted to hear your thoughts.

So, I just recently upgraded my whole system from an older XPS desktop slower 3.4 Ghz CPU, 8Gbs RAM, windows 7 and a standard def 24" dell monitor).

New Sys:
Windows 8.1
Core i7 - 4970 3.6 Ghz
16Gb Ram

GPU
Nvidia GeForce 750 Ti
Ded Mem - 2Gb DDR5

New Monitor BenQ 32 UHD

On paper this should blow my old system away.

That said, doing tasks that used to be quickly executed have been very slow. Anything having to do with changing image settings (exposure, contrast, shadow...) is painfully slower than in my old sys. I have been rendering standard previews... then tried 1:1. Preview rendering is VERY slow now which I now understand better since it is building huge previews for this screen to the tune of 3840 pixels.

With all my performance gadgets open I have been trying to see how different functions in LR affected load on the GPU and CPU. I did also bounce back and forth trying the GPU accelerator feature but that doesn't seem to have any benefit (at least none that I can see). The only thing I did notice is that when that option is not checked that my 8 cores tack out a lot more when working however, the GPU monitor does not show any major ramp up of load when it is checked. I would assume that should be working harder if the cores are not.

After messing a around a while my suspicion is that maybe something (LR itself or the system) has to do too much work to feed this monster monitor with updated re-rendered previews. To support this I changed my screen rez to 1080 and see an immediate difference in response time and performance.

I wish I had a higher end video card to see if just swapping that out kills this issue for me.

Thoughts??

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom cc latest release is unusable.
i7 with geoforce gt690 card and 32 gbyte of ram. Runs like a crippled snail.
Have updated wacom driver, updated Nvidia driver, disabled and enabled GOU and deleted and replaced preferences files. Still no improvement.
Have reverted to LR 6 standalone which fabsolutely flies.

Worst release ever by adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adobe,

why is the perfomance in the develop mode still so poor when i switch from one image to the next?

When i disable the gpu support it's so much faster but then the editing himself is arkward slow. I've still rendered the 1:1 previews and i work on a fully equiped 8-core Mac Pro (Late 2013).

So what's going wrong? This kind of "working" sucks!

Votes

Translate

Translate