Issue: 

• Lightroom Classic Version Number: 13.1
  • OS Version Number: Windows 11 23H2

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a publishing service, e.g. publish to harddrive
  2. Manually put a single video into the corresponding collection
  3. Hit the publish button

Expected result: Video gets published to harddrive
Actual result: A warning dialog appears saying "This collection can't be updated. An internal error occurred: assertion failed!"

This took me a while to figure out. I'm a long time user of Jeffrey Friedl's Folder Publisher and all of a sudden it started failing with the above message. After quite some testing I found out that it didn't even get as far as starting the plugin, but failed on the collection itself. Then found out that it occurs only when I add a video and also for the regular publishing service that comes with Lightroom. I tried different video formats, doesn't seem to matter.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 01, 2024 Jan 01, 2024

Ticket logged - status updated. 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
46 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using the Publish to Hard Drive service for 7 years with no issues.  Now, suddenly, videos will no longer publish shows an error.

lightroom-publish-error.jpg

If I remove the video from the publish collection, it publishes all of the photos correctly.  It breaks when videos are in the collection.  My videos have always published before.  This has started with the v13 of the program.  I'm running Windows 10.  Seems like a bug in "Publish to Hard Drive" service.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitly a bug.  I had to downgrade to v13.0.2 as well to get it to work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I can no longer publish folders using the "Hard Drive" publish service, if the folder contains a video file.

I have only noticed this recently and I assume it is since the last update as it use to work in the past.

I'm using Classic on PC (Windows 10)

I have a series of smart collections that I regularly publish to folders on my hard drive which are then sync with Onedrive for back-up.

If the smart collection contains images only, it published fine.

If the smart collection contains at least one video file, I get the following message when trying to "Publich"

Warning

Can't update this collection.

An internal error has occurred assertion failed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Hard Drive publish group that includes some folders with some videos. Up until an update or two ago, this worked as expected: I could add videos, hit "publish", it'd churn for a while, then all the new photos and videos would be moved from "photos to publish" or "modified photos to re-publish" to the "published" section, and all would be good.

Starting about a month ago, photos would continue publishing fine, but videos specifically would never move to "published", they'd always stay in "modified photos to re-publish" no matter how many times I tried to re-publish them. The video files are being output correctly, that's all fine, it just wastes time on all subsequent pushlishings by re-encoding all these videos again each time (which is pretty slow to begin with).

I can manually mark videos as "mark as up-to-date", but that's obviously a work-around and is a problem when I'm exporting a bunch of videos and am not sure which ones have and haven't already been published.

Would like to know if this is a known bug and when it might get fixed.

Windows 11

Lightroom Classic 13.1 (Build 202312111226-41a494e8)

Hard drive destination is a mounted network drive (mounted as a lettered disk).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

II have the same problem and also get the message "Can't update this collection. An internal error has occurred: assertion failed!". My collection contains videos. If I remove the videos I can export the collection.
However, it would be nice if the videos could also be exported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem of not being able to Publish to Smugmug when the gallery contains videos.  (LRC 13.1 on Mac Mini).  When is this problem going to be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When is this problem going to be fixed?"

Adobe almost never comments publicly on when a bug might be fixed. They generally release a new version every eight weeks. LR 13.1 was released 12/14/23, so we might expect to see 13.2 the week of 2/8 or the week after.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, just redid the donation and authenticated again only to discover it won't upload the video. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Same problem, just redid the donation and authenticated again only to discover it won't upload the video."

The bug is in LR 13.1. It won't be fixed until at least 13.2 (due out this week?) or perhaps a later version of LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never had any issues publishing videos from my library to a published folder before, but now it's throwing an error message: "Can't update this collection. An internal error has occurred: assertion failed!"

Photos publish fine. Just videos cause the error. 

System profile from lightroom below.

Lightroom Classic version: 13.1 [ 202312111226-41a494e8 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-US
Operating system: Mac OS 14
Version: 14.2.1 [23C71]
Application architecture: arm64
Logical processor count: 12
Processor speed: NA
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 32,768.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32,768.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 2,107.6 MB (6.4%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 413,474.4 MB
Memory cache size: 251.0MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 16.1 [ 1728 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 388MB / 16383MB (2%)
Camera Raw real memory: 389MB / 32768MB (1%)
Standard Preview Size: 5120 pixels
Displays: 1) 5120x2880

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: Apple M2 Pro
Init State: GPU for Export supported by default
User Preference: GPU for Image Processing Enabled

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: /Users/stephendrake/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom Catalog-2-2-v13.lrcat
Settings Folder: /Users/stephendrake/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in
3) Aurora HDR
4) Aurora HDR 2017
5) Aurora HDR 2018
6) DxO PhotoLab 3
7) DxO PhotoLab 3 Importer
8) Export to Photomatix Pro
9) Flickr
10) HDR Efex Pro 2
11) Luminar
12) Negative Lab Pro v3
13) Nik 6 HDR Efex
14) Nikon Tether Plugin
15) Plugin Parameters
16) Plugin Parameters
17) Topaz Photo AI

Config.lua flags: None

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem - is there a way to install a prior version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See here for how to roll back:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/roll-back-update-previous-classic/ 

LR 13.2 is due any day now, so you might wait a bit to see if it fixes the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products have been released.  The February 2024 updates contain an update for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for being so patient.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the update to Lightroom 13.2 did not fix for me the problem with videos failing to export. I no longer get an "Assertion Failed" message, but instead I get a different failure message: "Photos with original missing (1)".  BUT, when I look for missing photos in LR, there are none, and right clicking on the video and selecting "Show in Finder" takes me to the correct folder which does contain the video.  I have tried several different videos with two different publish services, and the results are identical: the video does not publish and LR throws the "Photos with original missing" error. I have also rebooted my computer and tried again, but with the same result.

LR 13.2 with a 2020 27" iMac running MacOS 13.6.4

Follow up 1 hr later

Doing further testing suggests that the situation is not as simple as "Nope, the fix didn't work." The Hard Drive publish service seems to work fine.  The two services I tried before (and which still fail) were Friedl's Collection Publisher service and the SmugMug service.  I then created a new catalog and imported a couple of videos, and did a simple set up of the Collection Publisher service, and videos successfully published.   I will need to do more extensive testing to pin down under what circumstances the issue persists & under what circumstances it does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To narrow down the issue, try these combinations with your main catalog:

- import a new video and add to an existing Smugmug published collection

- create a new Smugmug published collection and add a video already in the catalog

- create a new instance of the Smugmug publishing service, with a single published collection containing an existing video

It may be that the bug in LR 13.1 left inconsistent catalog entries for the videos that were unsuccessfully published, and these steps will methodically narrow down the problem and help others to know how to work around the problem with the least pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @johnrellis for your suggestions.  Here are the results:

1. import a new video and add to an existing Smugmug published collection

No luck. The video will not publish (fails with the same error message about a missing photo).

2. create a new Smugmug published collection and add a video already in the catalog

No luck. The video will not publish (fails with the same error message about a missing photo).

3. create a new instance of the Smugmug publishing service, with a single published collection containing an existing video

This is where things get interesting!  After clicking the + sign to the right of the Publish Services pane and selecting the first item (Go to Publishing Manager...),  when I click on many of the publish services in the list, I get a message such as what appears in the screenshot below:

SCR-20240222-simz.png

Of the Publish Services in the list, only the Hard Drive and jf Collection Publisher services can be chosen without triggering this message. At first glance, this would suggest an issue with the associated plug-in.  However, with a completely new catalog, I don't get this error message. I can set up a Publish Service for each of these in the list without a problem and going back to the Publishing Manager to edit the service does not trigger the error message from my main catalog.  This suggests that the plugins are not the culprit.

Also, I am able to set up a new instance of the SmugMug Publish Service without a problem in my main catalog.  I could then create a new SmugMug gallery and successfully upload an existing video that fails with the (large) existing SmugMug Publish Service instance. 

With jf Collection Publisher, although LR doesn't throw the weird error message in the screenshot when I select the existing service, when I create a new instance of the service and create a new publish collection within it, an existing video fails with the "missing photo" message. However, with a new catalog, I don't have any problems at all with jf Collection Publisher. 

I haven't tested any of the other existing Publish Services.

---------------------

All this leads me to think that I may need to create a new catalog and abandon my existing main catalog. The question is how to do that and transfer everything over in as (relatively) a painless process as is possible under the circumstances. If I create a new catalog, select Import from another catalog... & point to my existing (possibly corrupt?) catalog, what else will I I need to do to get back on track without totally rebuilding everything from scratch in terms of Publish Services and republishing everything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If I create a new catalog, select Import from another catalog... & point to my existing (possibly corrupt?) catalog, what else will I I need to do to get back on track without totally rebuilding everything from scratch in terms of Public Services and republishing everything?"

Anecdotally, File > Export As Catalog may fix more issues then Import From Another Catalog. Both methods generally preserve all the metadata. But neither preserves your pubish services and collections. I believe Friedl's Smugmug plugin can be used to rebuild the published collections in the new catalog by downloading them from your Smugmug account -- I don't know whether Smugmug's plugin can do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no luck on my end. Lightroom has updated. I have tried publishing videos to the Gallery I was publishing them to and it goes through the process with no errors but doesn't publish them. I then tried creating a new Gallery which works although takes a minute or so to initialise but again doesn't actually publish the videos to the gallery it seems to but they stay in the New Photos to Publish in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same problem - error message with no videos being published to Smugmug galleries. Trying to wait patiently for the update to fix the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate