• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Edit Capture Time doesn't preserve fractional seconds

LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2014 Dec 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Edit Capture Time command doesn't preserve fractional seconds when shifting the time of multiple photos. For example, if you select a batch of photos taken with "continuous shooting", e.g. at a sporting event, and then use Edit Capture Time to shift their time by 60 minutes, the fractional seconds of each photo will be dropped and the photos will no longer be correctly ordered by capture time.

To reproduce, take several photos that were all shot within the same second with the continuous-shooting option of the camera. LR will correctly transfer the capture time into their .xmp sidecars:

[XMP] Date/Time Original : 2011:05:13 18:32:44.51
[XMP] Date/Time Original : 2011:05:13 18:32:44.52
[XMP] Date/Time Original : 2011:05:13 18:32:44.53

Then select those photos and invoke Edit Capture Time. Use either the "Adjust to a specified date and time" or the "Shift by set number of hours" option to shift the time by 1 hour. Observe that the fractional seconds in the sidecars is now dropped:

[XMP] Date/Time Original : 2011:05:13 19:32:44

And the photos will no longer sort correctly by capture time in the Library.

This bug is easy to fix simply by doing the time adjustment with floating-point calculations, rather than integer.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 10, 2014 Dec 10, 2014
Thanks, John. I am able to reproduce this problem, and I have entered it in our bug database.

-Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate
8 Comments
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2014 Dec 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah / oops..

Hopefully this will be fixed in Lr6, and not deferred until Lr9..

In the mean time, this may be a good enough reason to use exiftool directly, or a script/plugin which calls it, to do the job.

If anybody has problems finding such a script or plugin, I can offer more help ;-).

Cheers,
Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 10, 2014 Dec 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John. I am able to reproduce this problem, and I have entered it in our bug database.

-Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2014 Dec 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still exists in LR 6.0.1 / OS X 10.10.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this is BIG problem. I shoot sequences using the burst mode of my camera, and when I adjust the timing using Lightroom, they are all out of order. This is extremely frustrating for my workflow as a race and wedding photographer.

Real Life Example: Tried to photograph and adjust a sequence like a bride is walking down aisle. After adjusting - She is at the top of the aisle. Now, she is in the front, then the back, then the middle, middle, top, front.

Photographing a Race Example: Winner crosses the finish line. After adjusting - Crosses the line. In front of the line, after the line, before the line, after the line, after the line, crossing the line.

How is this still an issue in the 6th release of software?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me ro - getting very frustrating when using a pair of cameras, and one is being used remotelyremotly - I know they shot at the smae time, but my sequences are really, really messed up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2016 May 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be a real treat if you fixed this. And also added fractional seconds to the renaming-templates. How else am I supposed to rename my photos with a timestamp to the right order?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This is still an issue in Lightroom 2015.6.1

Come on Lightroom team, two years! You can do this!

Votes

Translate

Translate