• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: File Deletion Questions

Enthusiast ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When deleting files in a folder LR often will not delete one file, even though it is not being locked by another program.  This behavior, at least in Windows, has been present for more than 8 years.  Please, please fix this.

If you select multiple images in the loupe view thumbnails you can only change metadata on the first selected image.  You must change to grid view to change them all.  However, other actions, like remove or delete work on all selected images while in loupe view.  This inconsistent behavior is confusing.  Please enable selections for all activities in loupe view.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
10 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF I select all images in a folder and Delete them, select Delete from Disk, All of them get sent to the recycle bin.
Something is amiss with your computer.

There is the Grid view and the Loupe View and then there is the Film Strip at the bottom.
In Loupe view there is only one image being displayed so you can't select other images.
Switch to the Grid view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess what - I also have problems with deleting images through LR, and have done for most versions of LR. On different PCs, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen the same file delete issue on and off for years.  Thankfully, I had been free of it for quite some time...maybe dating back to the v5 or 6 era...but since 8.2.1, it's back with a vengeance.

Flag 10 files as rejects, hit Ctrl+Backspace and 9 get deleted but 1 errors out and stays in Lr & on the disk.  Sometimes it takes a couple tries, but usually I can give it a few seconds, hit Ctrl+Backspace again, and then it deletes successfully.

I'm assuming the file is temporarily locked because metadata writes aren't complete or whatever.  Frankly, it's never bugged me enough to really troubleshoot it.  While it may be annoying, it's still pretty low on the list of things I'd like to see fixed/improved in Lr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"However, other actions, like remove or delete work on all selected images while in loupe view."

I observe something different. With multiple images selected in Loupe view, the Delete key removes only the most-selected photo from the current collection or deletes it from the catalog. (But see my next post.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm assuming the file is temporarily locked because metadata writes aren't complete or whatever.  Frankly, it's never bugged me enough to really troubleshoot it.  While it may be annoying, it's still pretty low on the list of things I'd like to see fixed/improved in Lr."

Pretty similar view, except I suspect it's related to building the thumbnail and standard preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that the behavior in Loupe view is very confusing when multiple images are selected.

With many of the commands, the keyboard shortcuts and right-clicking on the Loupe image only affect that image (the most selected image). But right-clicking on a filmstrip thumbnail applies to all the selected images (even if you can't see them because they're scrolled off screen).  Commands in this category include Paste Settings, Set Flag, Remove From Quick Collection, Remove From Collection, Remove Photo (from folder), Create Virtual Copy, Edit In  > Edit In Photoshop, Edit In > Open As Smart Object. But Reset and Proof are exceptions -- they only apply to the most-selected image.

Some commands operate on all selected photos regardless of whether you right-click the Loupe image or the filmstrip: Photo Merge, Export, Stacking > Group Into Stack, Edit In > Merge To Panorama, Edit In > Merge To HDR, Edit In > Open As Layers.

Add To Quick Collection and Set Flag are even more confusing: When invoked by right-clicking a filmstrip thumbnail, they apply to all selected images. But when invoked by clicking their badge on a thumbnail, they apply only to the most-selected image.

If you have multiple filmstrip thumbnails selected and you right-click an unselected thumbnail, some commands operate on the most-selected image (Reset, Proof, Paste Settings, Paste Settings From Previous), while others operate on the right-clicked image (Auto White Balance, Auto Settings, Convert to B&W).

And at least one command, Metadata Presets > particular-preset, asks you if you want to apply to the most-selected photo or all selected photos, regardless whether you right-click on the Loupe image or the filmstrip.

The Sync button in Develop Loupe applies to the entire selection, while the Paste button applies to the most-selected image only.

The behavior is determined by the mode of the main display. If the main display is in Loupe, then the commands act only on the most-selected photo, even if grid view is visible on the secondary display.

While you can come up with use-cases motivating these different behaviors, it seems arbitrary and certainly most people couldn't remember the rules.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"In Loupe view there is only one image being displayed so you can't select other images."

When in Loupe, you can select multiple images in the filmstrip below.   See my other post for the confusing behavior in this situation:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/long-time-pet-peeves?topic-reply-list[setting... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've usually traced the problem of a file not being deleted to my backup tools.  For example my cloud backup tool (Crash Plan) may be in the middle of copying that image to the cloud when LR tries to delete it.  Whenever this happens, waiting a minute or two and repeating the delete tends to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work-around on the delete issue:  BEFORE invoking  Ctrl+Backspace  make sure to select any image that is going to be deleted EXCEPT THE FIRST ONE.  Unfortunately, LR behavior is to automatically select the first image when you refine images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2019 Jun 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
One more confusing behavior: The behavior is determined by the mode of the main display. If the main display is in Loupe, then the commands act only on the most-selected photo, even if grid view is visible on the secondary display.

Votes

Translate

Translate