Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: GDI Handle Leak

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 Pro, Lightroom 8.3.1

I have been tagging faces and noticed after a while that LR has slower and slower redraws and general GUI response. Looking in the task manager, I see 1800 or so GDI handles in use. At start-up it is more like 670 handles.

After some playing around while watching the task manager, I blame the Navigator window. If I just mouse-over a dozen or so folder names, the Navigator window shows the first photo in each folder, and the GDI handle count jumps up by dozens. It is the same set of photos each time, so it isn't about caching of bitmaps, I don't think.

There may well be other handle leaks, but this is the most obvious one.

My system has 128GB of memory. In the Old Days of Windows, leaking a few hundred handles basically killed Windows. More recent versions claim to let you waste handles recklessly, but the truth is that programs get unacceptably slow pretty quickly if they leak. 

For now the work-around is to close and re-open Lightroom. But you want to make it better, right? It is not a speedy program.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 12, 2019 Aug 12, 2019
Thanks for the report. The team will investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate
7 Comments
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never seen this since I closed the Navigator window years ago for slowing stuff down. Simple solution!

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple work-around yes, good point!

Adobe should still fix the leak.

Also, as I switch a photo from "Fit" to "1:1" and back, I often inadvertently open or close the Navigator window through clumsy mouse-clicks (or the slow UI -- I don't seem to suffer this clumsiness in e.g. Photoshop). 

And also, if I am tagging faces and want to see the context of the whole photo, I can do that with the Navigator window at no cost in time, or I can look at the photo full-screen by double-clicking on the face. This is slow, and returning to the face-list view (by hitting Escape) is even slower because LR searches again for similar faces (I also posted about this problem). 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooh, and guess what! I closed the Navigator window, and the leak still happens. I think closing it (with the little triangle -- is there another way?) just hides the window. So all the GUI stuff still happens, but just isn't visible. 

Good GUI programming will wait for a paint message before doing work, which does not seem to be happening here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unclick "Show photos in navigator on mouse-over" off in preferences.  See if that helps.  

RackMultipart20190810677922iwm-dd115c45-5dd3-463a-965d-81cba540fc71-1865571101.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unclicking "Show photos in navigator on mouse-over" in preferences is a good suggestion. There is no longer any leaking when the mouse goes over folder names, as no new image is shown in the Navigator window.

And when I change the selected image, I can still see the thumbnail in the Navigator window, which is useful. I tried selecting many different images in a couple of folders, and the GDI object count stayed pretty stable.

So the bug is in the mouse-over code. Adobe should still fix it.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 12, 2019 Aug 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the report. The team will investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Greetings,

Updates to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web, were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate