• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Keywording panel fails to fully qualify keywords of the same name but different case

LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When there are two keywords assigned to a photo that have the same name but different case, e.g. Activity > march and Months > March, the keywording panel fails to fully qualify the keywords,  showing "march, March" instead of "march < Activity, March < Months":

RackMultipart20190318131491a4v-1703007f-abac-42b8-ac86-7763dbf40e71-1495854109.pngRackMultipart20190318131491a4v-1703007f-abac-42b8-ac86-7763dbf40e71-1495854109.png

Further, if you type "March" in the keywording panel, you'll get an incorrect list of auto-complete suggestions "march" and "March", rather than "march < Activity" and "March < Months":

RackMultipart20190318581210ksw-4c6f86f3-19a1-4f95-81fc-0d57a0001ecd-1490907679.pngRackMultipart20190318581210ksw-4c6f86f3-19a1-4f95-81fc-0d57a0001ecd-1490907679.png

RackMultipart20190318870181yf3-ebe59ebf-69d0-4003-ac2c-a2da4863c48a-2025435490.pngRackMultipart20190318870181yf3-ebe59ebf-69d0-4003-ac2c-a2da4863c48a-2025435490.png

If you type "March" and hit enter, you'll incorrectly get "march < Acitivity".  

If you type "March" and use the mouse to select the suggestion "March", you'll incorrectly get "march < Activity".

In general, LR aggressively ignores case of keywords everywhere except here.  Looks like a programmer forgot to do a case-insensitive comparison.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019
Hi John/Graham,

I have been able to reproduce the issue and I have logged the bug for the same.

Thanks,
Smit

Votes

Translate

Translate
13 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the same keyword at several levels of a heirarchy, the wrong one is added, even if you explicitly choose this in the add keywords dialogues or on import. I’m my example, I have “ activity < march, and therefore the wrong hierarchical keywords and synonyms. Lightroom seems to choose the first occurrence of a matching string in the heirarchy, even if you explicitly choose another. The only way to choose March is to filter and tick this particular keyword instead of the others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Smit

Thanks for the reply. I am presently using Classic 8.2 with Windows 10 but have noticed the same behaviour in earlier versions.

The original post seems to have become garbled in transmission. To clarify, in an early hierarchy category I have a parent keyword “activity” with a child “march”. Then, later in my hierarchy categories, I have a section for dates, which includes “March”, the month. It is easy to see which is which as they complete as you type in “march” when applying keywords or selecting from the recently used list, not least because one is capitalised and the other is not, but also because you can see the activity parent for the unintended one, but nevertheless it does not select the correct one, despite expicitly selecting the capitalised keyword. As per the original post, the only way I can tag with March the month is to filter the keyword list then tick March. Because of the way my hierarchy happens to be organised, March the month is physically lower (and in a different category heading) than march the activity. Of course, the upshot is the wrong parent keywords and synonyms are included when Lightroom allocates the unintended keyword.

I am afraid I cannot send you a video at present. I am sitting in an airport lounge and even typing this on my iPad challenges my IT skills (which is probably why the original message seems to have become a bit garbled). If you cannot replicate this, I will send a video in a week or so when I am back home.

Many thanks

Graham

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graham, 

Another way to enter the desired "march" is by fully qualifying the entered keyword. E.g. type "March < Months" in the Keywording panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“Another way to enter the desired "march" is by fully qualifying the entered keyword. E.g. type "March < Months" in the Keywording panel.”

By a quirk of my hierarchy, I cannot even do this. My non-exporting categories are such that march (activity) is at the second level of its category, but March (month) is at the top level of its category, so only the former shows as qualified. I see “march<activity” and “March”, so cannot select or type in just March alone without Lightroom selecting the wrong version, nor with a qualifier since the version I want does not have one.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Graham

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John/Graham,

I have been able to reproduce the issue and I have logged the bug for the same.

Thanks,
Smit

Smit | Lightroom Classic Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2019 Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Smit.

While not a bug as such, can you please request that consideration be given to another searching issue.

You create keywords in the keyword list, then you can search/filter those keywords in the keyword list to apply, edit or delete them. Synonyms are similarly created from within the keyword list, but bizarrely, once created, there is no way of searching or filtering the keyword list to find or manage those synonyms. You can search images in collections to find those to which synonyms have been applied, but you cannot filter or search for the source/location of those synonyms in the keyword list. The concept that there is a mechanism for creation of synonyms but not their subsequent management is a significant omission, if perhaps not technically a bug.

On several occasions I have not been able easily to find the location of a synonym I have wanted to change. I have had to resort to exporting my keyword list to Excel and searching there in order to locate it, then go back to Lightroom to open up the relevant keyword containing the synonym I want to edit. Lightroom itself should have this basic functionality built in without the need for such tedious work-arounds.

Graham

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2019 Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merging with existing topic

Please reference the new conversation here: Search for synonyms (merging)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic Version Number: 11.5 and earlier
OS Version Number: 12.6 and earlier

I've been having a problem with keywords for the past few years.

I had a dog named Sugar and for years I could keyword photos "Sugar" that would add all the above words in its hierarchy (dog, Weimaraner, etc.). But suddenly one day if I type in "Sugar" with a capital S, even though I see both Sugar AND sugar (with a small S) in the autofill options and select the one with the capital, it will now always place the small S "sugar" in the final keywords box resulting in food being in there too since "sugar" is in the Food hierarchy.

Any one know why this is happening? Any idea on how to fix? The only option I currently have is to go to the Keyword List panel, find "Sugar" and then apply it from there or I can type Sugar<Weimaraner. This also happpens with Circle, Montana and the shape circle, as well as Whitefish, Montana and the fish whitefish.

As I said at some point this worked properly for many years, now it has been broken for many years. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's my post. I was hoping to hear from someone at Adobe about this since the replies on Lightroom Queen do not help me with why this is happening and if it will be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the three-year-old bug report:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-keywording-panel-fails-to-fully-qualify-keyw...

Adobe has acknowledged the bug but hasn't prioritized a fix.  There are only three votes on that bug report.  Please add your constructive opinion to the bug report and be sure to click the Upvote button at the top-right and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will make it a little more likely Adobe will prioritize the fix, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes.

Unfortunately, Adobe almost never comments on when a bug will be fixed.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, I upvoted this thread. But I cannot believe that only so few people are experiencing this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate