• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lens metadata field missing on import

Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating Photoshop and Lightroom, I've noticed that the aux:lens metadata field is being deleted from my images on import, such that there is no lens listed after import. I've determined that it's Camera Raw 9.5 that seems to be the culprit, as lens metadata is retained if I use an older version of the DNG Converter v8.8 to import the same images.

For example, I had an image shot on a Sony RX100 III at 8.8mm. If I import this image with the old version of DNG Converter, and then open the converted DNG in Photoshop, the lens is reported with the full-frame equivalent focal lengths, i.e., 24-70mm F1.8-2.8, and the raw metadata has the correct aux:Lens field (24-70mm F1.8-2.8).

Conversely, if I import the same image directly into Photoshop or Lightroom, the metadata will display the correct focal length, but will not display the lens information; Lightroom reports this only as "unknown lens," and in Photoshop the aux:Lens field is missing completely.

For now, I will use the old version of DNG Converter as a workaround, but this is inconvenient, and really should be fixed.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016
This should be fixed in the Lightroom CC 2015.5.1/6.5.1 update that was released today: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2016/04/lightroom-cc-2015-5-1-now-available.html

See this document for parsing the lens metadata: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lens-metadata-hidden-on-some-cameras-in-lightroom-6-5.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 142 Replies 142
142 Comments
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2016 Mar 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some new information on this issue.  I have found that this issue IS NOT just with NEF files from Nikons.

As a quick test, I imported an old CR2 file taken with a Canon 20D into Lightroom CC 2015.5.  Guess what??  It also does not get its lens model displayed!!!!!!

How does one roll back to 2015.4 which worked without any issues at all (for me at least)?  Also, would rolling back also blowup the work flow with Photoshop CC?  Or would it also need to be rolled back?  If so, this is a major problem, not a minor inconvenience.

Paying a monthly fee for a product, one would expect a higher quality and/or rapid turn around on fixes or updates that don't break functions that were functioning just fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To roll back, follow these instructions: How do I roll back to Lightroom 2015.1.1 or Lightroom 6.1.1?  They were written a few months ago, so instead of updating to 2015.1.1 using the direct links on that page, use the 2015.0 then the 2015.4 on the main downloads page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I have rolled back to LightroomCC 2015.4 and the issue is resolved.  It was relatively painless for me at least.  I think I have learned my lesson for blindly updating and will have to heavily research each and every single future update before deciding to update any Adobe app ever again.  Bad show Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great information in this thread - thank you.

I have a couple questions: first, I see version 8.8 of the DNG converter mentioned. Is there any reason not to use 9.4, which supports more cameras? 

Second, for folks who don't use this workaround and import as usual, when the bug is fixed will they then be able to filter by lens with files imported using 6.5, or is some data actually lost?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there's any reason not to use version 9.4 of the DNG converter. I only used v8.8 because I already had it installed on my system. I haven't tried 9.4, but I would guess that it would work just fine.

Regarding the bug, I think that the importer is actually stripping the aux:lens metadata field from the imported image, based on examining the raw metadata in the imported image in Photoshop. So even if the bug is fixed, I suspect the Lens metadata won't be restored for images that were imported using the buggy importer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Byron!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it strps the info completely since th elens profile in the dev module is correct

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue with LRCC on Windows...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a separate metadata field (I think it's aux:LensInfo or aux:LensID) that allows Lightroom to apply lens corrections in the dev module. Lens corrections still work because this field is still there, but the separate aux:Lens field IS being removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It'll be interesting to see if Adobe can repair the issue by writing into the missing field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is Lightroom touching the original RAW file? We should be able to re import or have LR redhead the data from the RAW file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOTHING IS BEING REMOVED FROM OUR RAW FILES!!!

I checked one of the files that is showing missing lens information in Lightroom and on Saving Metadata to File there is a value for Aux:LensInfo.
aux:LensInfo="280/10 3000/10 35/10 56/10"
aux:LensID="165"
Running Exiftool on the RAW file I see the lens:
Lens ID   : AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Lens      : 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR
So the good news is the data is still in the RAW files so hopefully the fix will be an easy one and not require us to manually enter things.  Something like "Check the file and if it has lens data in the RAW use that".

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The RAW files in fact are not touched.  As I have since rolled back to 2015.4, I noticed that the lens data was still not displayed for those RAWs imported by the previous 2015.5 update.  I removed one of the RAWs from the library and then re-imported and the lens model field was restored.

So, RAWs are not being touched.  It seems that 2015.5 no longer is loading the lens model into their data base which it seems the lens info is being stored after import as is indicated by the test I have just run.  This is also true for an image that has been exported and processed by Photoshop or any other app.  The EXIF data in the files themselves are not touched and passed on as they should.

It looks to me like a Lightroom catalog database/display issue.

As I have previously tested, it is not just limited to imports from Nikons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any time table for a fix to this issue?  It seems that it was an easy function to break, so it should be an easy function to fix!!

Paying a fee every month for a service, one expects rapid fixes to problems!!!  It's like a phone company saying we improved your signal in your area, but they ended up breaking the ability to call any number with a 5 in it, but you still have to keep paying your bill!

Please fix the software!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have NO LENS EXIF info in both LR6 and Photoshop Elements on a mac. Have tried different cameras and different lenses and all photos since 3/16/16 at 12:51pm (EST) have NO LENS in the EXIF. But.. if I use the online EXIF reader tool, I can see the exact lens I used in photo file. So, it is just Adobe software that isn't reading the lens exif properly. PLEASE fix this soon! It's messing up my workflow, amongst other things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a Nikon D300 and i've also the problem with importing metadata where the lensinformation is missing. It is present in the EXIF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is pretty good and listens to their customers, I suspect that w/in a week or so it'll be ironed out. Earlier this year they had come up with some kind of a "new and improved" import window that none of us liked very well.  I think it took a couple of weeks, but they took care of it.Hang in there
Tom LaPaz Mexcio

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2016 Mar 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's important to note that images imported before the upgrade to 6.5 DO show the lens data. Images imported after the 6.5 upgrade don't show the info. So this leads me to believe it's not just "not showing up in the display." Reverting to 6.4 doesn't make the post 6.5upgrade image lens info visible. I had to revert to 6.4 then delete and re-import the post 6.5 upgrade images in order to get LR 6.4 to see the lens data. Clearly 6.5 is mucking up the mettadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen the same.  It is mucking up the metadata stored in the library database.  The lens data simply is not loaded into the library database.  That is why simply rolling back doesn't get the info to re-appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a possible way to roll back: In CC 2015.4 / 6.4, select the affect photos and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File. This will save the catalog metadata back into the file (the .xmp sidecar for raws or directly into the DNG / TIFF / JPEG).  Then do Metadata > Read Metadata From File.  This will reread the metadata from file.

I haven't verified this (since I don't have 2015.4 running at the moment).  So if you try this, be sure to make a backup of your catalog and the photos you're experimenting with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The process does work to re-add the data to the library database.  The first step, the save, is paramount.  Doing the read without doing the save will reset all history and can't be undone, although it does restore lens data.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lenstype dont show as infotext or metadata in library/develop-module. In the developmodule its shown in the lenscorrection but dont show up as infotext. In the librarymodule I cant find it at all, its an unkonwn lens... Nikon 70-200 VRII...on Nikon D800E. Its been working before...!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In importing photos from an SD card, LR version CC 2015.5 [ 1067055 ] does not recognize the lens used although it correctly recognizes the camera, e.g. in my case Nikon D7000.  I reinstalled version CC 2015 [1014445], and this older version correctly recognize both the camera and the lens as D7000 and 16.0-85.0 mm f/3.5-5.6.  Anyone experiencing similar problems with version CC 2015.5 [ 1067055 ]?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lateset edition, 2015.5, does not transfer lens data to metadata list, only focal length. Bummer when you want to know what lens you used. (It does allow renaming the files though after creating a second copy. That's an improvement.)

Votes

Translate

Translate