Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom Classic: Editing raw file in PS from LR loses profile

LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[See here for how to reproduce the bug and an easy workaround:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-editing-cr3-files-i... -- John Ellis]

Editing a picture in Photoshop 2021 from within LR 10.0 makes the color profile disappear and the image loses all it's vibrancy... Any idea how to fix that? Top image is what I see in LR. Bottom is how it shows up in Photoshop... 

ScreenShot20201021at7.18.40AM-240171dc-a5d4-4249-8984-f1786b7af173-2080094976.pngScreenShot20201021at7.18.40AM-240171dc-a5d4-4249-8984-f1786b7af173-2080094976.png
ScreenShot20201021at7.18.49AM-4f6af639-71e2-4220-82ad-6b3b230ee66b-1477693513.pngScreenShot20201021at7.18.49AM-4f6af639-71e2-4220-82ad-6b3b230ee66b-1477693513.png
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your pat

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

This existing bug is almost a year old, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to get fixed:

https://feedback-readonly.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-editing-raw-file-in-ps-from-lr-loses-profile/5f9043b035f40c2520b9e964 

A workaround is to do Metadata > Save Metadata To File right before editing in Photoshop, or alternatively, set the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

[Here's a concise synthesis of previous posts and my own testing]

When you edit a raw photo in Photoshop that has a creative profile containing a LUT, Photoshop loses the profile.  A workaround is to do Metadata > Save Metadata To File right before editing in Photoshop, or alternatively, set the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

To reproduce:

1. Make sure Photoshop is not running.

2. In LR, uncheck the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Auto

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 161 Replies 161
161 Comments
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here on latest Photoshop 22, Lightroom 10 and Camera Raw 13.
Camera: Canon R5

Seems Lightroom doesn't create a TIF file for Photoshop to use, but instead Photoshop loads the CR3 file.

Restored the previous version of Photoshop 21.2.4 which correctly creates a tif file.

Hopefully this gets sorted soon.

Update:
Color is only lost when using color fidelity profile, when I use Adobe Color or another custom profile there is no loss in color in photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Seems Lightroom doesn't create a TIF file for Photoshop to use, but instead Photoshop loads the CR3 file."

Actually, that is how it always works. Lightroom instructs Photoshop to open the raw file (via Camera Raw), with the Lightroom edits. Because of the latter, the ACR dialog is suppressed. Lightroom will only render a TIF file itself when there is a version mismatch between Lightroom and ACR.

Here's a workaround: Open the file as a smart object. Then you can invoke ACR by double clicking the smart object. Switch to another profile and back.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem.  I cannot use Lightroom and Photoshop together like this for CR3 (Canon R5) files!  Help, Adobe!

Lightroom Classic 10.0

Camera Raw 13.0

PhotoShop 2021 22.0.0

Camera Raw Plugin 13.0.0.610

Lightroom: Lightroom-8770b91f-3f80-4b43-ada4-51f130f7148d-1094258500.jpg
Photoshop: 
Photoshop-139fd6f9-cfa8-462c-acf7-25642337bb93-513020155.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you aren't following Johan's suggestions,

A screenshot of your Preferences>External Editor settings would be helpful here. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk  Here you go!  Thanks.

Capture-f298deb8-fbfa-4cff-8f64-a03b4b1f1141-1829659897.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk I hadn't yet tried Johan's workaround.  That does seem to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk  Another strange thing...  After using Johan's workaround, now images are opening as expected even without using Smart Object.  As if the problem never existed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may have caused things to reset. Run it for a day or two and let us know if you see it again. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help, I have this problem

While exporting from Lightroom to Photoshop, the color profile (not Adobe, mine) are NOT preserved, so I have to export MANUALLY the tiff all the time and continue to work on that. I think it is a bug, I have this after installing Photoshop V22 and Lightroom V10

External edit setting: Tiff, ProPhoto RBG, 16 bits, no compression 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do not post the same question twice. I deleted the duplicate post.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is indeed a bug and AFAIK Adobe is looking into it. In the meantime you could use this workaround: Open the image from Lightroom in Photoshop as smart object. In Photoshop, double click on the smart object to activate Camera Raw. In Camera Raw toggle the profile, i.e. choose another profile and then choose your profile again. Now Photoshop should render the image correctly. If the kind of edits you want to do can't be done on a smart object, then you can now flatten the image to turn the smart object into a normal background layer.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about it, Marco

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohanElzenga thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have attached custom profiles to my .CR3 raw files (Canon R5). When I right click the raw file in LR Classic (10.0) and choose edit in Photoshop (22.0.0) the raw file will open in Photoshop but without the custom profile settings. Opening the Camera Filter in Photoshop (22.0.0) reveals that the custom profiles are not available in ACR (13.0). It won't allow a re-import of the profiles at this stage (Error message: profiles already installed).

When I close Photoshop (22.0.0) , re-open Photoshop (22.0.0) and select the same raw file from the Open File menu the custom   the custom profiles are available in Camera Raw and can be selected and applied to the raw file.

So something gets "lost in translation" between Lightroom Classic (10.0) and Photoshop (22.0.0). All this worked fine in the previous version (9.4 and 21.0 respectivey) so I can attach the issue the latest updates.

Note: when I have successful applied the custom profile in Photoshop (22.0.0) and then try to apply the Camera Raw Filter in the edit process on a layer (background, copy etc.) the custom profiles are once more not available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you Export that image as a TIF In LrC and then open that TIF file in Ps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Just_Shoot_Me The export as a TIF works fine with the custom preset applied and visible upon opening in PS. As I have mentioned when I start PS (22.0.0) and open the raw file manually I can select the custom profile in the open file dialog within Camera Raw and the profile is applied correctly. However once opened the Camera Raw Filter won't show those profiles anymore. But the main problems is that during the handover from LR Classic (10.0) to PS (22.0.0) via the "Edit in Photoshop..."-option the profile gets lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you sent this RAW file to Ps as a Smart Object and then tried to the ACR Filter to see if the custom profile is there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it does not make a difference if it's send the "normal" way or as a Smart Object. Results are the same. I know it's difficult to explain but as mentioned when the raw file is transferred from LR to PS and you open the ACR Filter the custom profiles are not available. If you select to reinstall the filters within ACR Filter there is an error message that the custom profiles are already installed (but they are nowhere visible).

BUT...as described above (and it does not matter if LR is open or closed)...when you open PS, select open file, select any .CR3 raw file that matches those custom profiles, the file opens within ACR and the custom profiles are available, selectable and can be applied. The file opens within PS and the profile applied. If you select the Camera Raw Filter once more (and it does not matter if it's just the background layer, a duplicate etc.) the custom profiles no longer show up. Only the Adobe standard profiles.

I just reverted back to LR Classic 9.4 and Photoshop 21.1.x with ACR 12.3 and all is working fine (as it was before the updated) with the custom profiles transferred from LR to PS during the "Edit in PS" dialog. The custom profiles are also available in the Camera Raw Filter.

So I can clearly pin this on the updates to 10.0 and 22.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known bug and discussed in another thread aready. Adobe is working on it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohanElzenga Thank you for the info. In the meantime I've found the other thread. Using the Smart Object workaround does not work all the time (sometimes the custom profiles are available, sometimes not?) and I have a feeling that there's a color cast but I might be wrong. Anyway...it would be good if Adobe would issue a fix as this is a serious problem imho.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 22: When a third party LUT/Colour profile is applied to an image in Lightroom, this profile is not present in Photoshop 2021 when the image is exported via "edit in Photoshop 2021." I'm using the Archetype Process Fujifilm Profile pack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue, discussed elsewhere in this forum. A workround is to open the image as a smart object in Photoshop. Then double-click the smart object to start Camera Raw and toggle the profile (choose another one then choose the original one again). That will make Photoshop recognize the profile. You can then flatten the image if you don't want to use a smart object or need to make edits that cannot be done on a smart object.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LRClassic 2020, when i "edit in Photoshop" any R5 files with a Color Fidelity Profile, the colors are incorrect and desaturated in Photoshop. If however I export to hard drive first, the file is correctly exported and the colors are also correct. It's almost as if no profile is applied if i "edit in Photoshop"

Votes

Translate

Translate