• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LrC 12.2.1 fails to start/launch or is extremely slow launching.

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

LRC 12.2.1 is not starting anymore, just launches as a background process using significant amounts of RAM and CPU, but the visible window never shows up. 

I have already:

- Tried the alt-shift-click thingie.

- Tried logging out and in from CC.

- Wiping all data files from the computer and letting LRC create a fresh Lightroom folder and catalog file (sometimes it does that, sometimes it hangs before the folder is created). 

- Wiping all Adobe products with the cleaner tool and reinstalling just LRC.

- I have even formatted and reisntalled the computer (becuase it was a good time to do that anyway).

But LRC still fails. What to do next?

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎17.‎03.‎2023
OS build 19045.2728
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

One of our Prerelease Testers has a bug logged for this and we've referenced this thread to that existing bug. 

Workaround:
The team has verified this workaround has no risks. Until we can release an update, please follow these steps:

• Close LrC if open
    (the file will not show if Lightroom is open)

• Locate metrics.json file at this location: 

Mac: /Users/<username>/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom/metrics.json
    (Note that Mac has two Libraries
    Make sure you are in the User Library and not the System
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Greetings all,

Updates for Adobe Photography products have been released.  The April 2023 updates contain a final fix for this issue. After installing 12.3 it should be no longer necessary to monitor and delete the metrics.json file.

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 438 Replies 438
438 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can also confirm that this solution worked for me. I'm running Ventura 13.3 and LrC 12.2.1. Prior to 12.2.1, I had no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This morning, Mar 28th, 2023, I was editing a couple of photos. Exit LrC and the backup happened.

Return from work and I was ready to start editing again but LrC just does not open. I read other threads about the topic first. I tried to reset the preferences (Alt-Shift routine) but that did not work. Uninstall LrC from the Creative Cloud App and install it again. Now I get a non-responsive window about Catalog Upgrade.

What is happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jimrich3 , could you be specific about what issue worked for you. Thanks.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing the metrics.json file fixed the issue for me.  About two weeks ago LRC 12.2.1 started taking 30+ minutes to start up on my Mac.  Similar behaviors as others on lack of LRC window while LR process in acitivity monitor says "not responding", and consuming large amounts of CPU but if left to start up would eventually start up after 30 minutes and function fine after that for the most part.  I also noticed once started my mobile sync would stop working until I restarted LRC, and waited 30 minutes for it to start.   When I deleted the metrics.json file it started right up as normal/expected.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

The Catalog Upgrade just created a new catalog. It did not upgrade my current catalog. After Lightroom opened, I tried to open my current catalog and the whole nightmare started again. Now, not even the newly created catalog can be opened. Only a black strip on the desktop shows up

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact same issue with my lightroom classic. I tried the alt + shift method, running as administrator, uninstalling, reinstalling, resetting my computer, and installing older versions. My computer says lightroom is stuck running in background processes. I opened my catalog on another computer and that worked fine, but I need to access images on my main computer and get this working. This also happened to me after working in Lightroom this morning and then doing a backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What purpose does the " metrics.json file " have and is it a file that is created by Apple operating system?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW! That is a bug that needs to be addressed QUICKLY!!!

That file, the "metrics" one, was almost 5GB in size. I deleted it and now LrC opens as it used to.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the pinned reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it disingenuous that you say ONE of your testers had a bug log for this over the past 2 weeks I've had 4 clients that I work with report the same issues, in addition to myself.

You might want to point out that it's NOT the Lightroom CC Folder which also has the same JSON file.  - CES

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted the metrics.json file on my system and now LrC boots much faster than it has been for many months.

After deleting the file and booting the LrC application it was still slow for the first restart.

However subsequent starts have been much faster. The metrics.json file has been rebuilt but it's now much smaller. See the screen captures.

IMG_0781.png

IMG_0780.png

See the screen captures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@evan.sante That's normal, usually only one prerelease person logs a bug even if multiple people can reproduce it... just like there's one bug thread here but multiple people commenting. He just meant there's already an internal bug report open. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@evan.sante 

I've reviewed your posts and do not find where you've posted this issue previously. I would be happy if you could send me a link to your report as I have missed it. I would also make your original report the primary thread for the bug report if you like.  

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LRC will not open for me for me on my iMac. Have uninstalled it themn reinstalled it with the same result. Photoshop and LR open with no issues. All apps and computer are up to date with latest updates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-lrc-12-2-1-fails-to-start-launch-or-is-extre... and let us know if it resolves your issue. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk,

the solution works on my Mac only one time. After the next start the same, vnow respoce from LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"the solution works on my Mac only one time. After the next start the same, vnow response from LR."

Try turning off the Creative Cloud option Share Information On How I Use Adobe Desktop Apps, as detailed here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-lrc-12-2-1-fails-to-start-launch-or-is-extre...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DdeGanneswrote, "What purpose does the " metrics.json file " have and is it a file that is created by Apple operating system?"

The file is created by LR and records stats about your usage of LR that are sent back to the developers. That reporting is controlled by your Creative Cloud account option Share Information On How I Use Adobe Desktop Apps, which is on by default:

https://www.adobe.com/privacy/app-usage-info-faq.html 

Such information is invaluable at helping the product developers understand how LR is actually used.

See here for some more technical details about that file:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/lrc-cache-causing-crash-metrics-json-but-why.47409/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you find this file. I've loooked on my iMac and can't find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Where did you find this file. I've looked on my iMac and can't find it."

See here for the complete set of steps of working around this problem:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-lrc-12-2-1-fails-to-start-launch-or-is-extre...

See the pinned reply at the top for the file's location:

Be sure to exit LR before looking for the file. If it's not at that location, and your LR is slow to start or refusing to start at all, then you probably have a different issue and should start a new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround works for me.

Thankyou.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it seems to related to leaving folders expanded before closing LR. If I close lightroom with all drives collapsed it opens fast the next time. If I leavr the folder structure expanded I pay the price ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

On mac OSX 12+ lightroom is taking a VERY, VERY long time to load.

I have rebooted several times even in safe mode before going back to normal mode. 

I see the first loading screen then is disappears. Adobe, HELP PLEASE !!

I will delete the above mentioned file to see if it speeds up. 

Kevin in France

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you for the workaround, but I can't even find the metrics.json file.

Do I understand it correctly that when there is an update released, this will be fixed automatically, and I can launch Lightroom again ? I'm not an IT wizard and not keen on trying all these options I read on here (since I can't just locate the specific file). Or will it take a long time until an update to fix this is released ?

Many thanks for your reply. 

Votes

Translate

Translate